When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you work on today?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Almost done mocking up parts for my 1946 Dx. Gotta love a Panther fender where it doesn’t belong!

My reaction after not paying attention and accidently spraying lacquer clear coat on my Krylon Acrylic/Enamel painted rim. Though the reptilian texture was neat..it was not the finish I was trying to achieve.
oh-no-fudge.gif

So..with a can of Aircraft Remover stripped that joker down
20211111_134247.jpg

20211111_134233.jpg
After the stripping, i did a bit of sanding. I wiped down with mineral spirits and Denatured Alcohol.
Then three coats of Etching Primer.
20211111_154519.jpg

(New Project) It's Refurbishing Time!!
My son Buzz and I built this Elgin, Bent Tube, Long Tank about 8 years ago. It's been hanging in the shop for the last 5 years.
The soda blasted bare metal frame without gun oiling periodically over the years is really showing it"s salt along with some of the parts.
Plans are to go back to the Traditional Front End with the mustache bars, Polish and Matt clear frame and frt. end, and refresh all other parts. Of course the WWII Nose Art Tank will be left as is, just cleaned up.

View attachment 1510670

View attachment 1510671

View attachment 1510672

View attachment 1510673

Update! The frame is just about ready for Matt clear! https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/a-father-son-elgin-racer.199563/

Last edited:
AWESOME. Before you clear the frame look up GIBBS OIL.You can find it on amazon.Best oil I ever used.Have a bare metal prewar schwinn thats been hangin in the garage for 7 years.No rust.I just wipe it on.Not sticky and dosent collect dust or dirt. Best part is you can wipe down and paint over it. Just a thought.

Added the new tiller bars and a set of repop Union pedals to the ’84. I like the unfinished look of the bars on this bike and may keep them this way, when I was originally thinking black powder coat. Rides fast and comfortable.

The last pic shows the surprise peanut shell that emerged from the bars I took off of this rescue. Laughed like hell when I saw it fall out with the rest of the dirt. What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever seen inside an old bike? Might need a separate thread for that!

91E724A7-9176-44D2-92B4-EF6C07E930FF.jpeg

5DA7997F-D8EF-489F-ABB2-20492B6409BA.jpeg

80D4DD85-7340-44A2-9FB7-A51A88996898.jpeg

Last edited:
Back