When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you work on today?

-
added spring fork to my Roadmaster.

100_0300.JPG

100_0301.JPG

If you saw this find from the "Sunday finds" thread, here is an update. This is just an update from an evening of scrubbing and cleaning.
I really thought this was gonna be a crusty find but its actually cleaning up REALLY well.
Once the day comes, it will get blown apart and cleaned up correctly.

BEFORE:

71FB3.jpeg

71FB.jpg

71FB2.jpg

Projects have been on the back burner... sometimes life gets in the way. Finally got a chance to get back into my '56 Phantom project " El Rojo"

I've been putting off cleaning up the wheels and servicing hubs so I knocked it out today

IMG_6296.jpg

Bendix barely had any wear and is excellent condition... way easier than hand burnishing ND discs 🤣

IMG_6297.jpg

Put another coat of mink oil on the leather and cleaned up chassis. OG seat still hanging on but could use new leather for any real riding

IMG_6298.jpg

Typical S2 surface rust polished up, hubs serviced, rim tape and spokes cleaned. Came out pretty well

IMG_6300.jpg

Dug these NOS 80's Coker BFG repops out of Big Pete's attic a while back. They had some stains from years of sitting so I hit them with some Bleche-wite and a gentle scrub with a magic eraser. Really cleaned up well with just enough yellowing to match the patina of the bike.

IMG_6299.jpg

I've got a lot of hours in the cleanup and I'm excited to see it coming together. Hoping to build it tomorrow

Finally got El Rojo back together today.... Really pleased with how this one turned out

IMG_6301.jpg

Starting to look like a bike again

IMG_6302.jpg

Time for the wheels... Amazingly the OG BFG Silvertown tubes are still good to go! Stuffing them into NOS 80's Coker Repops

IMG_6303.jpg

Just enough age on the WW's to not look out of place

IMG_6304.jpg

Here's where we started... Kind of hard to tell how much work went into it from these pics

IMG_5854.jpg

And Done! Well sort of... still need to test horn and light and give it a final wipe down

IMG_6308.jpg

IMG_6307.jpg

A little before and after

IMG_5856.jpg
IMG_5892.jpg

IMG_5855.jpg
IMG_6072.jpg

IMG_6110.jpg

IMG_6111.jpg

IMG_5878.jpg

Finally got El Rojo back together today.... Really pleased with how this one turned out

View attachment 1698880

Starting to look like a bike again

View attachment 1698881

Time for the wheels... Amazingly the OG BFG Silvertown tubes are still good to go! Stuffing them into NOS 80's Coker Repops

View attachment 1698882

Just enough age on the WW's to not look out of place

View attachment 1698883

Here's where we started... Kind of hard to tell how much work went into it from these pics

View attachment 1698885

And Done! Well sort of... still need to test horn and light and give it a final wipe down

View attachment 1698884

View attachment 1698887

A little before and after

View attachment 1698888 View attachment 1698889

View attachment 1698893 View attachment 1698892
View attachment 1698894

View attachment 1698895

View attachment 1698896
Bling bling! Looks loved again!

Finally got the shifter/hub working right. Turns out the Bendix shifter was not made with the correct shift pattern for the Bendix Torpedo hub as first priority...works fine with Sturmey hubs though. Bike would shift into 2nd, but freewheel when braking...a couple shifts later 2nd gear was completely neutral. Noticed the idler pulley was slipping up the tube and that the cable had slack after shifting into 1st a couple times. Scratched my head for a bit and did some research. I found the instructions with a NOS shifter on eBay. Realized then that there are different fittings for the Cable Saver(overload tube) for each manufacturer's indicator chains. I couldn't use the cable and Cable Saver I had since it was for Sturmey threads. Sooo....I ended up having to rob a good overload spring and chain and grafted it onto a damaged Sachs indicator pin. Set the cable with no tension in 3rd...rode it and shifted a few times to get any stretch out of the new cable...adjusted it one last time and it works fine now. Just had to have that spring to give at the end of travel for 1st gear.

PXL_20220920_032032608.jpg

Back To My Roots!!!!
Picked this 1946-47 Shelby up a week or 2 ago. Aired the old tires up and let it sit for a week. While deciding what I would do to the bike, it just kept reminding me of a lot of the bikes I found, years ago when I first started hunting old bikes. After all these years, those are some of the best memories. So! got out the steel wool, and started, what came off, came off, what stayed on stayed on! Spokes were still good so just repacked bearings. Added period headlight, grips, seat and pedals. Rides great, looks like it hates it's mother!

Back To My Roots!!!!
Picked this 1946-47 Shelby up a week or 2 ago. Aired the old tires up and let it sit for a week. While deciding what I would do to the bike, it just kept reminding me of a lot of the bikes I found, years ago when I first started hunting old bikes. After all these years, those are some of the best memories. So! got out the steel wool, and started, what came off, came off, what stayed on stayed on! Spokes were still good so just repacked bearings. Added period headlight, grips, seat and pedals. Rides great, looks like it hates it's mother!

View attachment 1701153

View attachment 1701154

View attachment 1701155
That thing looks really great man! From the patina to the dirty black tires i wouldnt change a thing.

Back