When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you work on today?

-
I am debating whether to apply filler to smooth out these factory welds on the ‘36 Schwinn frame I am using to build up as a klunker. I had the frame blasted 2 years ago and cannot remember if these areas had lead filler. After blasting there was a little of it remaining where the middle tube meets the head and down tubes. I would appreciate help particularly from anyone familiar with these early hand welded frames.

As it is not a back to original build I am inclined to use some filler.View attachment 1728397
View attachment 1728391

View attachment 1728392

View attachment 1728393

View attachment 1728394
I personally like the imperfections of an old frame. If it were me I’d leave it cause make it perfect and then it’ll look like a new bike.

I personally like the imperfections of an old frame. If it were me I’d leave it cause make it perfect and then it’ll look like a new bike.
I added some text to my post shortly after loading it which you likely missed. The roughly finished welds on these frames are so different to the predominantly smooth welds on the later electro forged frames. I would just like to finish the welds as they would have been from the factory.

Looking at this old listing for a similar frame it appears the welds at the top tubes are made smooth with filler and the welds at the bottom bracket are not.

Last edited:
I added some text to my post shortly after loading it which you likely missed. The roughly finished welds on these frames are so different to the predominantly smooth welds on the later electro forged frames. I would just like to finish the welds as they would have been from the factory.
I haven't stripped a prewar to bare metal to take pictures of, but I'd think the long scrapes on the tubing are from somebody getting a little heavy with a wire wheel. Not 100% sold on that being factory. I know they dressed the welds pretty roughly, but I think I usually see that in the brass being that deep, not the steel. Let some others chime in too though.

Looking at this old listing for a similar frame it appears the welds at the top tubes are made smooth with filler and the welds at the bottom bracket are not.

Here’s my 38 and it does appear to be much smoother than yours.

image.jpg

Here’s my 38 and it does appear to be much smoother than yours.

View attachment 1728522
My best guess is there is lead fill on your frame or bronze welding in that area. I have seen some of the early frames with bronze welding where the stays and top tubes meet the seat mast unlike mine.

My frame had the original paint under an older repaint. I believe it was stripped to bare metal the first time I had it done 2 years ago but I cant be completely sure the deep marks were done at the factory or by someone else before I got it.

I used primer filler today on the welds on the top tubes. The frame looks so much nicer and sleeker, more like it would have looked when it left the factory. I didn’t smooth out the welds at the bottom bracket with filler as I believe it left the factory that way.

Last edited:
Back