When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you work on today?

-
Worked on this today, well, worked on freeing it from the ground! Found on a hillside overlooking downtown Pittsburgh and had to rescue it. Kinda curious what it is though...

20221126_121613.jpg

20221126_122716.jpg

20221126_122650.jpg

20221126_122447.jpg

Busy morning while watching TV and eating leftovers on my day off!! LOL. Reworked truss rods, skiptooth chain sized and mounted, re-assembled ND coaster brake, greased and adjusted all bearings that I’ve recently pulled apart for deep clean and inspection, rebuilt pedals I recently disassembled for cleanup, mounted seat and flipped lucky 7 post for more legroom, mounted tubes and tires on these EBAY rims I got that surprisingly match the frame’s age and faded red. All parts here pieced together separately from various places for way more $$$ than buying a rider, but it was pretty fun. Still got a few ideas to tweak on this higgins. But for now, I’m gonna decide between the 2 sets of grips I have to choose from, and possibly go for a ride

View attachment 1739887

View attachment 1739888

View attachment 1739889

View attachment 1739890

View attachment 1739891

View attachment 1739892

View attachment 1739893
Cool bike I really like the vibe it’s got a lot of spirit. Did it take a while to build?

Cool bike I really like the vibe it’s got a lot of spirit. Did it take a while to build?
I started collecting parts shortly after getting this frame in September. I’ve been doing little tear downs and inspections/cleanings as time at work and weekends allowed. Just recently I hit the gas on finally putting it all together. I’d say it took a handful of days of a few hours here and there to get it to this point.

Crappy, rainy, wet, cold day out there... so the “salt” bike finally gets a tune up.

I’m using the nice apron Trek gave me for completing their service training videos, they thoughtfully put a magnetic patch on the front to hold small fasteners while you’re hands are busy... handy!

Not exactly a bike, but a part for a bike! Received this from Brant the other day and it was kinda thrashed, not his fault, I knew what I was buying! After I straightened it up and cleaned it really good I decided it needed a different color than they come so this is what I did! Let me know what you think…..good or bad, I can take it…lol
Thanks for looking!

Of course the order got jacked up, but you can get the gist of it!

Painted the rack I got from BB's. Frame is from a 79 Spitfire. Locking fork with key from a 51 Panther. Chainguard from a 63 Traveler. Tank is a no horn repro. Cut about two inches off handlebar ends. Repro Oval Scripted grips. RIL working speedometer ( probably will replace with Crown, Cadet or Schwinn ) Seat was black and sprayed with leather interior paint. Wheels have HD spokes and are about 1/4 " wider than S2's. I may look for a Phantom front fender that I can cut the ends off and make two bobber fenders out of it. My "budget build" got busted. I am all in on this at $380

Finally got tired of staring at this one sitting outside the basement door and freed the stem up!
Started with re-soaking the pivot pins in the lowers, tapped them out with a punch .

Wanted the lower legs removed so I could mount the fork in the vice to have a place to twist and have a solid surface to back up the hammer blows. Wedge was very stuck. The stem bolt and 5/16" punch had no success and ended up blowing through the threads.

Sssooo, I ended up drilling the stem hole up to fit a 3/8" punch and went at it with the air hammer. No love!

It actually ended up swelling and chipping the punch, as you can see below. The punch was stuck and had to be tapped out from the bottom. That tapping was finally what broke the wedge loose.

Got a little bit of twist from the stem after that and it was on like Donkey Kong! Looking at the wedge after getting it out, it had been broken for years. The 5/16" punch may have split it at the threads though.

Now I need to find somebody to weld the legs back together....

Last edited:
Back