When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike does this cigar tank fit?

-

oldmtrcyc

I live for the CABE
I bought this bike but maybe the tank is for something else? A fair sized gap at the front. Any info would be great. Crappy restoration.
20190529_222523.jpg

IMG957137.jpg

Its not really a cigar tank. There were many varieties of these motorbike tanks made which were sold as aftermarket pieces. The person that restored the bike likely just used what they found that would fit (sorta). V/r Shawn

Hard to find McCauley #1001 tank for the smaller frame 3.5" head tube.
It is different than the #1000 in that the front face slopes backward at angle of the down tube, (versus sloping forward for the head tube).
New old stock #1000 have been on eBay for years.

It is a taller 3" tank, (not like the 2.5" McCauley #3, which is even more common).

It fits some mid 1930's Shelby bikes, as well as Snyder bikes, and maybe Westfield bikes with the wider (taller) gap in-between the two top tubes.
As you can see, it fits some bikes better than others; it is for the double bar drop frame or motorbike type of bike.
McCauley 1935_c Catalog pg-11  bbc.jpg

In the examples I have seen they look like yours, with the forward mounting bracket & holes a bit forward of that shown in McCauley's advertisement; and the ones I have seen, always seem to come with pipe hangers and oversize screws(?).
Square Tank ST-300.PNG

Might call it a "square" type of tank.
I think the refurbishment looks fine; all that I might change would be the Wald aftermarket chain ring, with a DP Harris/Snyder/Rollfast style that may suit the head badge.
And maybe get some grommets or plugs for the tank holes, depending on whether the electric light gets connected. Is that a 4" head tube(?).

Last edited:
Back