When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bikes did you add in 2019

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

John G04

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
2019 was a great year for bikes for me. Bought tons but only 2 are keepers, my 41 straightbar and elgin klunker. Lets see what you all got this year! Happy 2020

Found at a estate sale in hershey pa, the wheels now have great home of a caber

41 schwinn, currently in project phase, bought at trexlertown swap meet

Roadmaster pleasure liner, bought at a estate sale in lancaster pa, also sold to a great caber

Near mint schwinn american bought at estate sale in lancaster pa

Schwinn hornet, now has a home in sunny california with another caber

Schwinn BC that I had for a brief time, also being ridden and enjoyed in cali

Roached double diamond bought at trexlertown, currently getting a full resto by another caber

Elgin frame bought at trexlertown that I made into a klunker

1946 Schwinn dx badged cavalier, bought at Hershey flea market, sold to a caber

Jc higgins regal deluxe, also found at estate sale

I don't buy bikes to sell much anymore, and I am very happy with the bikes I have; but I added 4 this year:
I bought 1940 Red Streak in April, at Vets Cycle Swap, for the 2nd time, exactly 7 years after I bought, and sold it off/on CL.:eek:
IMG_2065.JPG

Then in August, I skipped church to see what would show up at the Monrovia, 1st Swapmeet ever, by @fordmike65 at a brewery.
@rustintime brought Aero King, DBR by Schwinn. I told Tony 3 years ago, that I wanted to be next to own; super-glad that worked out.:D
IMG_7404.JPG

Then October, my old riding pal @DonChristie is un-loading the 1934 Greyhound, gave me a great deal, and packed it for shipment.
New Fat Franks and parked inside the house, Thanks again Don.:cool:

IMG_6863.jpg

Within weeks of spending all my bike funds, Scott @rustjunkie is selling his awesome curvey cruiser Oriole.
Timing was off for me, so he SOLD it to me on layaway!
Paid in Full and absolutely one of my best riding bikes!
Thank you again Scott; totally dig it!

IMG_6922_2.JPG

Happy New Year and New Decade!
Overall, 2019 was pretty good for us bike-wise with additions of complete bikes and some nice frames and partial bikes too.
#1 - Starting out in January, I was able to pick up the C&O Shoe repair Cycle-Truck. This was not just a Cycle-Truck, but a non-powered but factory fully ready to have the Whizzer motor added MCT1 model. It was also still wearing the sign advertising the CO Shoe Repair Company from where it was originally placed into service. This is a photo after cleaning the bike up and reassembling it:

#2 - In February, I ran across an ad for this '37 C-47 frame/fork assembly that made me do some hard thinking. I already had the smallest version of this frame (16") under way in the shop, but the 18" frame I had was a little more rough than I was wanting to use to build a bike up. Other than a lot of scale, the one I had was already built by the prior owner, but I really like the frame and wanted to go with as good an example of one as I could find.. That will be a project in line for now, but here it was:

#3 - Picking up some bikes in the 24" wheel size variety was another thing I have been up to, and this one showed up for sale in March, and I thought it looked like something that would fit into the group here. This appears to be a '38 B0CX:

#4 - Near the end of May, I found this bike in my most unfavorite color, but as it was a '43 Cycle-truck, and was priced somewhere close to reality, I figured I could learn to live with the color (and I have). I knew it had some things that needed to be addressed. so once it got here, I started to address them. This is the "after addressing them" shot of "Greenie":

#5 - This one is another 24" wheeled bike I watched for a while after conversation with its' previous owner here on the CABE had it advertised. We had several communications on it, and one of those in early June ended with "I'll take it." This one appears to be a '36 B0 model. It's kinda homely, but kinda cool in my eyes:

#6 - This was a frame that I thought would make a nice rider for my wife once reassembled. She doesn't ride much, but will go around the neighborhood on occasion with me, so no harm in her having choices. This was found in June and is waiting on the "wall of wait" for it to go to the stand for re-build - it appears to be a '39 BA37:

#7 - In Early June. another one of my weaknesses jumped up and grabbed my attention AND my wallet. This is my "Pet" year, a '46 Fat Bar BA-97. I have another one here on the wall and this one will make a nice mate for it eventually. This is one of my most favorite frames.

#8 - This frame was found in mid-July, and is the second one of these that now lives here. It is a '35 Model 35, "Double Diamond" frame. I'm unsure at this point what I'm going to do with it, but at least I won't have to hunt one down when I decide!

#9 - This '62 frame was one that I tried to build up from a '61. The 61 did not come with the welded on kickstand, and that kept poking at me everytime I went to ride or move it, so when I saw this ad, I jumped on it immediately. It was redone and inserted in place of the other frame as soon as I could get it painted after arrival.

#10 - Another Cycle-Truck was noted around mid-August, but this one came with a well buried serial number. I did not go through the paint yet to see what it says, but am pretty sure it is an early '40s model. It caught my attention due to the sign plates, and it looked pretty much like it only needed a few "fixes" and would be a nice addition to the group. This is after a few of the fixes were handled:

#11 - This is another frame that popped up and intrigued me in October. I watched it cycle through a couple of times before I couldn't resist it any further. Another project now sitting in the shop waiting for some attention with intention! This was said to be a '36 Hawthorn Camelback. It is sitting awaiting a trip to the paint shop.
01.jpg

#12 - was a duplicate of the Corvette frame, only with a standard upper rear bridge, and this one was red. Most likely this frame will be sold as I don't want two of these, and only wanted one in back. The one I will use is next to the last one in this post.
#13 - This was offered to me by another CABE'r after he had bought it a little more than a year earlier. The offer was VERY reasonable, and the bike is an anomaly as it is such due to it was made from two bikes one was a 24" bike that is the rear portion and a cycle-truck, which is the front and top portion. This is the "Shrunken Cycle Truck":

#14 - This Cycle-Truck was found in the classifieds here CABE, and I had conversations with the owner for a week or so before making a firm decision to commit to another CT.
This is a CT2, and the basket that was on it was not something I wanted to add to the shipping cost, so the request was to not send it with the bike. I have the right one here already so another one that is incorrect was not in the cards. He agreed and we made the deal. I'll take care of what issues there are with the seat, signplate, basket & board as I go, and may address the chainguard as well. This is a '67 model and has a late serial number.
Green one Too 1.jpeg.jpg

#15 - This one popped up on eBay at least twice before I decided that if one was good, two would be twice as good. I'm not sure if it will stay or go. The one that is already here may get some help from this one. This bike is slated to be delivered within the next week or so. I made the deal and asked that it be shipped after Christmas due to my wife and I were going to be away until after Christmas and there would be no one to bring it into the house until we returned.
002.jpg

#16 - This frame and fork, found December 18, will be the full size version of this bike, and will be built to match the 24" version already on hand. It is going to be used instead of the frame mentioned as #12 previoucsly.
0001.jpg

#17 - The last one for 2019! This Cycle-Truck was brought to my attention by a friend for some reason... What interested me was his comment about it being loaded with wrong parts, and noticing the Worksman basket out front. I have a Worksman frame and fork on hand, as well as some other other necessary parts for it, but this looked the a REALLY straight basket and original brackets, and the front wheel appears to be Worksman in origin too. Time will tell on what actually happens with it. It appears to be a 41/42 and was stated to be a '39, which it is not. It also has a postwar fork and stand setup.

39 - CT1 - 12-20-2019.jpg

Last edited:
Rescued this Westfield Stormer or Stutz from the scrap pile last February and I'm letting the possibilities as a ride percolate. Some days I think just throw some rims and bars on and ride it to see how it feels. Other days I think it deserves a new paint job and sprucing up. Then again, maybe it just needs some TLC like Charlie Browns Christmas Tree? Such a shame it lost its head badge at some point many years ago..

Kind of a slow year as far as adding new bikes for me. I had other priorities this year like finishing a masters degree, throwing a 50th wedding anniversary party for my parents, and helping the kids. I'm also trying to get some of my project bikes done. Despite all that I added five that I kept:

1935 Schwinn Cycleplane--amateur resto that will be redone

1936 Schwinn Cycleplane--also getting redone

1951 J.C. Higgins Regal Deluxe-original and leaving it alone

1938 Zep--original-won Classic Bike of the Year (Best Preserved) at Ann Arbor this year

1938 Hiawatha Arrow--amateur paint-will restore

DSC_0119.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG

Back