When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What brand hubs were most common on TOC to 1920 bikes?

-
I've attached a photo of my Morrow hub on my teen's Peerless. How can I tell if it's the correct hub for this era bike?

View attachment 864450

View attachment 864451

View attachment 864452

View attachment 864453

Are you able to contact the buyer for documention?

Library of Congress has files regarding books, catalogs, magazines ads and patents.
It is very extensive, time consuming.
The material is available in digital files.
American Bicyclist from that time period
has many articles and bicycle ads.
These original bicycle ads can provide detail
on what the bike came equipped at the time.
The key is entering the right words to get to
what you seek. I spent hours going through
many files until I find what I need.

Thor was pretty popular as well, I don't have access to my pictures but if you do a search for Thor Hubs, you'll find pictures of mine already posted.

That is a post ‘o9 hub. Very likely to be the original hub for your teen era wheel. There SHOULD be a slot in the cog for spoke removal beginning in ‘o8.

Thanks for that useful information. My 1917 Columbia 'Military Model' uses a 1909 patent Morrow hub, but without the slot, even at that point. I've been looking for a replacement cog, (you can see the teeth are somewhat past reusing) but can only find slotted ones. I would still prefer an unslotted one, but at least I know slotted ones existed at that point.

Does anyone have any leads on a 10 tooth unslotted Morrow cog (complete with hub, if necessary?)

Photo 192B.jpg

Thanks,

Adrian

Thanks for that useful information. My 1917 Columbia 'Military Model' uses a 1909 patent Morrow hub, but without the slot, even at that point. I've been looking for a replacement cog, (you can see the teeth are somewhat past reusing) but can only find slotted ones. I would still prefer an unslotted one, but at least I know slotted ones existed at that point.

Does anyone have any leads on a 10 tooth unslotted Morrow cog (complete with hub, if necessary?)

View attachment 865039

Thanks,

Adrian

As a very needy participant here it’s very gratifying to put some of my newfound Morrow/Eclipse trivia to good use!
88127E0B-DE53-4D87-B5B3-EF521722FAAC.jpeg

Interesting information here...
http://fattiretrading.com/morrow.html

The slotted cog is correct for a post 1909 morrow. I can’t find the documentation for that but it does exist.

I can check out in the barn for one but it will be post ‘33, slotted and have chrome remnants.

Last edited:
"needy participant" - we are all of skilled in some aspect, major or minor, of this or any hobby or profession, and we rely on each other to cover the other aspects. It's called teamwork (-:

Thanks for the offer to check in the barn, I appreciate it, but please don't. I have a couple of the 1909 Morrow shells, and it was really the unslotted cog that I was after, though I can rest more comfortably with the slotted cog now.

Have a Good Evening,

Adrian

"needy participant" - we are all of skilled in some aspect, major or minor, of this or any hobby or profession, and we rely on each other to cover the other aspects. It's called teamwork (-:

Thanks for the offer to check in the barn, I appreciate it, but please don't. I have a couple of the 1909 Morrow shells, and it was really the unslotted cog that I was after, though I can rest more comfortably with the slotted cog now.

Have a Good Evening,

Adrian
I’m also looking for the unslotted variety for my ‘o4.

Early Morrow were stamped Eclipse Machine Co....not sure when they went Morrow only.

Back