When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what brand of chain tool works on skip tooth chains ???

-
I need to change the title to "what brand chain tools work on skip tooth chains at a price someone would actually pay"

I'd go 40 bucks on the NOS Schwinn one.
Pay up

Here are a couple of el cheapo chain breakers I bought many years ago. I modified the one on the left and top to be used for skip tooth chains. There were guides on the original that I broke off so I could align the skiptooth chains manually. I probably paid $5-10 each and they worked fine. The only problem with these is you have to make sure you line up the pin perfectly because if you bend or break it, you can't replace the pin. They ain't nothin fancy, but they will do the job on the cheap. I'm sure any bike shop or even walmart would probably have something similar to these.

Found this

Do you even need one? I have a Diamond skip-tooth chain from the early 1940’s. Just find the master link, which is a little more massive than the others (but this is surprisingly hard to tell by eye.) One side will be engraved “Out Side” and the other “Hear It Snap.” Grab the chain between your two hands placing your thumbs against the “Hear It Snap” side and bend the chain so as to make the “Out Side” go a little convex. (I may have this backwards - it’s been a while.) You will hear it snap and the master link will separate. Unless you want to look high and low for the “Out Side,” you might want to do this inside a clear plastic bag. I guess if you’re adding links you might need a tool, but as an alternative you could just add sections of chain with more master links. Lots of NOS master links on eBay still.

Back