When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What can I do about a seller that (apparently) scammed me?

-
So back in April my wife and I bought her a prewar Elgin from Facebook marketplace. The seller seemed to specialize in antique and vintage bikes, so I trusted him. The listing stated it rode well and included everything pictured, which was a complete bike, besides the stem, which he said would be swapped out with another prewar stem. So when the bike arrived in the mail, I noticed it didn't have any stem or pedals at all. No big deal, I sent the seller a message about the stem and he said he would send one. A few weeks passed and he didn't send one, so I decided to drop it and just buy one from the Cabe.

A few months passed and I've been working on restoring my bike and I haven't worked on my wife's much. Fast forward to now, and I've now noticed that when I put the chain on it's drooping, and comparing the sprocket to mine it's definitely too small, maybe a 24" instead of a 26". In addition to that, the seat is not the one pictured in the listing (I posted another thread about this a few weeks ago here.) It's a post-war seat instead of the long-spring Troxel from the listing, and it's missing the front spring.

So now I have to buy pedals, a sprocket/crank assembly, a seat, and had to buy a stem. All of which should have been included. Now that it's been 5 months is there anything I could do? From the previous exchange with the seller I doubt he's going to send me the proper parts. Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but we're not collectors or anything and these are our only bikes. Plus prewar parts don't seem to be cheap and we don't really have the money at the moment to get a bunch of new parts. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
LMAO

If I knew I didn't get what I paid for and a seller was not responding or making it right I would be as annoying as possible. It isn't difficult these days to find out everything about anyone. Once I had a seller that was ignoring me and finally I called a neighbor and had them go give him a message that his phone, for some reason, was not working. I got a call about an hour later.

Have you ever started receiving a ton of junk mail, unsolicited insurance quotes, loans etc: and then all of a sudden it just stopped?

Last edited:
Back