When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What color is my '67 Continental?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

3-speeder

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Hello all. I just picked up this barn fresh Continental from the og owners family. I was wondering what color this bike is officially so I looked at the catalog and I wasn't sure if the color is listed. The catalog has Campus Green, Coppertone, and Sky Blue. I thought the Coppertone is the shiny gold-like color as seen in the attached catalog page. What color would you call this? Thanks for the help.

Pictures include before and after a quick spit-shine. Also... who would have the stem so high? Hope they weren't riding it that way.

P1060644.JPG

P1060643.JPG

1967_08.jpg

P1060615.JPG

P1060616.JPG

P1060617.JPG

P1060618.JPG

P1060620.JPG

P1060622.JPG

P1060623.JPG

P1060624.JPG

P1060625.JPG

P1060626.JPG

P1060627.JPG

P1060647.JPG

P1060649.JPG

P1060650.JPG

P1060651.JPG

-----

wonder if dropout colour could be primer

if repaint, do you think it may have been necessary at factory for some reason

fork crown is NERVEX Pattern Nr. 4

some models, such as Super Sport, also received NERVEX Pattern Nr. 6 during the '60's

-----

Looks like a repaint. I see sky blue on the left drop out. The height of the seat tube decal is a good indicator it’s been redone.
I hadn't even thought of that because it looks like a factory paint job. Paint chips on the top tube show similar color underneath (is it grey?). It does look like the seat tube decal is set higher than the bike from the catalog image but all the transfers are set very well and appeared original. Maybe I'll try to get in touch with the seller. He had said that the bikes were all og (two other Schwinns). They sure appeared that way.
P1060618-2.jpg

Origianl owner is unaware of any repaint. Seller's brother who owned this bike said it didn't happen as far as he knows. I'll update when I open this baby up. Probably not for a while yet as I have another bike in the pit right know.

Looks like a repaint. I see sky blue on the left drop out. The height of the seat tube decal is a good indicator it’s been redone.
Agree on a repaint, likely by a Schwinn Burgandy spray can. The paint looks thick "and chipping" at the fork ends.

Pull the name plate off, remove the seat post clamp, remove the crank, drop the fork and look at the steer tube. These are just some of the areas you can get a good look at the undamaged paint color. The sun's UV rays not only remove the gloss but change the color.

John

Well I couldn't wait to check a couple of the places mentioned to look at the paint. The steer tube didn't help, it's chrome, but inside the headtube was the same color as the outside. Under the seat post clamp there was a similar color pattern, maybe grey primer with same outer color. I thought I had chipped the paint getting the collar off but an earlier image shows it was damaged already. A small paint chip on the seat stay shows same colors. How did the paint get damaged under the seat clamp collar, maybe during a mechanical moment?
P1060652-2.jpg

P1060655-2.jpg

P1060646-2.jpg

-----

thank you for this update 😉

p1060652-2-jpg.jpg

the gear cable casing in this image is the official Huret material

it may have been contract produced by the firm of Etablissements Jeunehomme whose brand name for products was EJAC

a producer of both cables and casing for gears and brakes

also a maker of small hardware bits such as adjusting barrels & hoses for frame pumps

EJAC pump hoses on card .jpg

France's primary producer of cables & casings for Bowden type control mechanisms

-----

Last edited:
-----

wonder if dropout colour could be primer

if repaint, do you think it may have been necessary at factory for some reason

fork crown is NERVEX Pattern Nr. 4

some models, such as Super Sport, also received NERVEX Pattern Nr. 6 during the '60's

-----

-----

thank you for this update 😉

View attachment 1788234

the gear cable casing in this image is the official Huret material

it may have been contract produced by the firm of Etablissements Jeunehomme whose brand name for products was EJAC

a producer of both cables and casing for gears and brakes

also a maker of small hardware bits such as adjusting barrels

France's primary producer of cables & casings for Bowden type control mechanisms

-----
We bought that small gear housing in 50 foot tins for shop use. Cut to fit as needed.

John

Well I couldn't wait to check a couple of the places mentioned to look at the paint. The steer tube didn't help, it's chrome, but inside the headtube was the same color as the outside. Under the seat post clamp there was a similar color pattern, maybe grey primer with same outer color. I thought I had chipped the paint getting the collar off but an earlier image shows it was damaged already. A small paint chip on the seat stay shows same colors. How did the paint get damaged under the seat clamp collar, maybe during a mechanical moment?
View attachment 1788150

View attachment 1788151

View attachment 1788152
The paint on your seat tube is "Really Thick".

If the top coat color got scratched, it would be aluminum undercoat under the top coat, not immediately grey primer. The factory paint was baked on, and thin. My guess is it's a repaint. I agree with GTs58 the seat tube decal positioning is wrong, "too high".

John

Back