When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What components can be replaced and not hurt the value of a restoration?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
Hi,

Would like the opinion of restorers on here, especially those who restore potential "show" bikes.

If I am restoring a classic bike and it needs cables, rubber, and chain, how does it affect the showability of the bike?

Say for instance, replacing the tires on a Stingray and I use the newer old stock Schwinn Approved rubber (with correct tread and lettering) made in the 90's? Is that acceptable?

Another instance would be S.A. three speed cables. Does it matter if the cable connector is the newer universal type (using new grey housing) or should I seek out NOS S.A. cables the correct length?

If using new brake wire and new brake cable housing and it is the correct color and I am using the old ferrules, is that acceptable?

Replacing ragged out S.A. axle nuts with genuine S.A. axle nuts, ok?

What about drive chains? NOS make a difference?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi,

Would like the opinion of restorers on here, especially those who restore potential "show" bikes.

If I am restoring a classic bike and it needs cables, rubber, and chain, how does it affect the showability of the bike?

Say for instance, replacing the tires on a Stingray and I use the newer old stock Schwinn Approved rubber (with correct tread and lettering) made in the 90's? Is that acceptable?

Another instance would be S.A. three speed cables. Does it matter if the cable connector is the newer universal type (using new grey housing) or should I seek out NOS S.A. cables the correct length?

If using new brake wire and new brake cable housing and it is the correct color and I am using the old ferrules, is that acceptable?

Replacing ragged out S.A. axle nuts with genuine S.A. axle nuts, ok?

What about drive chains? NOS make a difference?

Thanks for your thoughts!

If the bike needs fixing I try to use NOS if possible. Although sometimes
not everything is available. So I use
what's available.
I don't have a problem with that.
It's when some individuals try to
pass something as all original when
some of the parts are not even correct for that bike.
I will appreciate any bike that has been restored, displayed
and the person acknowledges that some parts used were not
NOS.
It shows me that these folks take pride and care.
Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Last edited:
Back