When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did I buy? Wards Hawthorne pre-war mens

-

JLarkin

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Serial number C28016, has Carlisle "Lightening" tires - 26 x 2.125. The fenders are peaked and I really cannot find a dent other than the rear where the fenders stays are bent. I do not believe the rack is original but it looks nice though pitted. Grips and seat are obviously replacements but the seat is a nice Mesinger I will use on my 24" ladies W/F; has same small solid seat post. Front fender was not drilled for a light and I do not believe it ever had a tank. Still it's pretty cool.

Attachments

• IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0289.JPG
    IMG_0289.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 46
Hi

Your bike is post-war. The deep curve down tube on 3-gill frames wasn?t introduced until after the war. There are pictures posted on the 2nd page of the Cleveland Welding Serial Number thread that show this difference. While we have collected several post-war serial numbers we have not yet been able to pin down years by serial numbers, I?ll add your number to the list.

Whether or not your bike was originally equipped with a tank, the 3-gill tank will fit your frame. If you decide you want a tank I have an extra post-war 3-gill tank with impressed comets available, PM me if you are interested

Phil

Back