When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did I just spend $25 on?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sven

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I bought this for $25 from a guy at the flea market. Maybe a 1935 Hawthorne???
20210915_122630.jpg
20210915_122619.jpg
20210915_122636.jpg
20210915_122501.jpg
20210915_122752.jpg

Sven:
Looks like the former owner forgot to cover it with Cosmoline before storing it in the back of the garage. Please post pics when you get it on the road!

I was going to guess 1937-C1, because of the lower serial sequence number, in the lower ~10 percentile?

I had what I called a 1938-C4 refurbished CWC bicycle, which had a higher serial number and the horizontal (side) holes for its brass “Wards H Hawthorne” badge.

CWC-built Hawthorne bicycles had either the vertical badge holes or the side badge holes, (but I forget or never knew which was when).
Just double checked, the Hawthorne badge with 2+7/8” vertical holes were on my 1947 CWC-built.

Last edited:
You will need a lot of POR-15 on that old bike.
The front fork appears clean and in decent shape, but the rest of the steel tubes making up the frame will need POR-15 to try to strengthen(stiffen & stabilize) the severely rusted, thin areas that without too much effort that you might be able to poke a screwdriver or icepick through the severely rusted areas.
POR-15 it, both internally and externally and you probably will be OKAY. I'd inspect and sort of test the bike frame before you do anything because if any tubing is deteriorated so badly that it crushes/bends/or breaks, you might need to cut and weld in a new solid-stable piece of similar steel tubing in place of the severely rotted section. If that is not the case, then POR-15 should be enough. Remember that you'll need to Top-Coat Over (PAINT OVER) POR-15 because I don't believe it is UV resistant, and will maybe deteriorate in direct sunlight if not top coated with ordinary paint.

Back