When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Dissolves Old Grease?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

dougfisk

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I have taken apart, cleaned, and greased hubs, bottom brackets and head brackets on about 6 vintage bikes in the last few weeks. There is nothing I have found to be foolproof for disolving the old grease that hides in the bearing retainers between the balls. I have tried kerosene, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, engine degreaser, and simple green heavy duty. It is obvious that the base of some greases is not soluble by petroleum products. What is left; alcohol, carburetor cleaner, or ? :confused:

local automotive store will have wax and grease remover(i use it on all my stuff for cleaning chains,hubs,bearings,etc. also works good before you paint! ;) )

I use carburetor cleaner; Gumout brand in the spray can. The straw jets the cleaner into the bearing cages and blows away the pavement sealer that's stuck there.

If you have a mechanic for a friend a hot tank eats everything but metal. Especially on new solvent day.

WD-40 has worked surprisingly well for me- just fill a small container with the stuff and soak the parts.

Back