When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do I have here a wood rimmed Pierce?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rideahiggins

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
006.jpg
008.jpg
007.jpg

I bought this at a local auction and just can't find anything just like it in my searches. there is no headbadge. I know the handle bars and the Schwinn Phantom grips aren't right. The front forks I think are right I found another bike very close to this one and it had the same type forks. The chainring is heart shaped. The rims are all wood not clad. The rear one wobbles a little the front one is on its way to becoming a pretzel. The paint is all bubbled like old varnish on a piece of wood funiture. It's very lightweight, could it have been a racing bike?

It's probably a serious road bike. Does it have holes for mounting fenders? The handlebars look correct to me, just upside down. Does it have a coaster brake or is it a fixie?

Looks similar to the bike I just picked up - I have a post about it in this section. Neat bike

i dont think its a pierce.
but the sprocket is a fauber and i think it could be early, like 1899-1910 they made hangers for several different bikes( i don't think pierce was one of them) and the front forks hold the wheel in an open slot instead of just a hole indicative of the early bikes. perplexing...
here is a thread with some images of some pierce cycles to compare. check the hole pattern for the head badge that will help.

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?11029-can-you-help-ID-this-one&highlight=pierce

From what I've found on the web this MIGHT be a 1890's Crown Pneumatic Safety MFG by the Great Western Bicycle Co. OR it MIGHT be a Lake View built in Chicago. Mine has wood rims for pneumatic tires. The handle bar stem seams correct but I can't find a good pic of the forks to see if mine are correct. Mine is a fixie the ones I found on the web are coaster brakes. The search goes on.
110311_bilakeview1sm.jpg
4056926768_084da4f8f2.jpg

yea, maybe, but those bikes look like wimpy gentleman's road bikes. yours looks a little more agressive! the one thing that makes it not look like a track bike to me is the space between the back tire and the seatpost down tube. the ones i've seen are more compressed, wheels are closer to the frame, with a wheelbase (axle to axel) of something like 40"-40.5".

...I'm certainly no expert, but just going from pictures of known dated bikes, pre '15 or '13 usually don't have fenders. So if yours has holes to mount febders, it should be at least a '13 or newer. Also serious racers had huge front chainwheels.

Back