What do I have here??

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

JohnA

On Training Wheels
Jun 19, 2020
Arlington Heights, IL
Have come into possession with what I think is a frankenbike but would like to figure out what exactly it is. My main question at this time is what bike did this frame start it's life as. Details as I see them are: headtube has the 2 small screw holes for a Schwinn headbadge (it's missing), the top and down tube are ovalized at the headtube, it appears to be a fillet brazed frame, it has an American BB, it has canti braze-ons, the seatpost is the size of the classic Schwinn 1-1/16". Currently it has a flat crowned chrome fork with canti's, f wheel is a gold hub(ACS)/rim(forgot to look at mfg but believe it's possibly Ukai?), r wheel is a generic alloy, r der is an OLD Deore, crank is a double (again forgot to look at the mfg but it's an old crank), no f der, shifter is thumb, bars and stem are strange in that the pinch bolt on the stem for the bars goes through the stem behind the bars. Any ideas on what this frame started as and are any of the parts original to that?? Any restoration value to any of this???
Thanks for any and all help!!

Reactions: bricycle

JohnA

On Training Wheels
Jun 19, 2020
Arlington Heights, IL
Went back and took another look (bike is in storage) and find that I got a couple things wrong and learned a couple new things since / in the original post. The front rim is a Ukai. There is a f derailleur - also a Deore. The R hub is Shimano with an oil port covered by a movable clip. R rim is Araya. Canti's are marked "600" . Brake levers are Magura. So what did this frame start out as? And is this worth working on or selling off?

1.JPG

1a.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Archie Sturmer

I live for the CABE
Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Looks like it started out as a mountain bike with 26” wheels and wider tires. Depends what you want to do with it; maybe swap the handle bars with north woods (?); add fenders, Wald kickstand, mattress-springs seat, and make it your groceries store bike?

Last edited:

vincev

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Nov 2, 2008
crown point<indiana
If you are looking to flip it the cost for tubes and tires will exceed the value I think.There is a lot to clean up to make it look decent.If you want it for a rider then have fun and put some money into it.

JohnA

On Training Wheels
Jun 19, 2020
Arlington Heights, IL
Anybody know what Schwinn model this frame started it's life as?? That's what I'm really interested in finding out. I've looked through all the old catalogues on line and can find nothing that matches up to the combination of bi-oval frame, american bb and canti's.

Roger Henning

Finally riding a big boys bike
Dec 2, 2018
Sharon Wisconsin
I do not think it is a Schwinn but is an early 1982 to 1985 mountain bike of which many were made from many companies. All are similar and generally good riders. Do not sink a lot of money into it as you will never get it back. The rims look like what my 1985 Ross had. Roger

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
What makes you think this is a Schwinn frame? V/r Shawn

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

JohnA

On Training Wheels
Jun 19, 2020
Arlington Heights, IL
That's a good question! Could be I'm starting out with a wrong assumption based on the screw holes in the headtube and the knowledge that Schwinn did these fillet brazed bi-oval frames. Can anyone come up with an alternative mfg that would fit??

Reactions: Alva

BFGforme

riding a'41 BF Goodrich deluxe autocycle deluxe
Nov 28, 2016
Oceanside CA
Welds on front of bike look like schwinn

Reactions: Alva

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
An early ‘80s Schwinn would have a serial on the head tube. Is there any serial number on the bike? V/r Shawn

JohnA

On Training Wheels
Jun 19, 2020
Arlington Heights, IL
Can't believe I didn't think of that!! Guess that's why i come to the experts. I'll look for a SN Monday

all riders

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 11, 2020
Austin, Tx
I agree with it being Schwinn, the fillet braze jumped out at me too. I was in on early mtb(riding and selling) and I cant think of any other company with brazed frames(certainly may have been). Japanese (that would include American brand Diamondback) and french were all lugged. I should think that if its the right fork(probably) that the fork crown might be your best clue--unique i think, sort of a forged truss look.

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
Anybody know what Schwinn model this frame started it's life as?? That's what I'm really interested in finding out. I've looked through all the old catalogues on line and can find nothing that matches up to the combination of bi-oval frame, american bb and canti's.
IDK really as it ain't my area but, can't really i.d. frame as Schwinn, photos not clear enough. However maybe within frame group used in 80-ish of Schwinn sidewinder. And can't say it has a Schwinn fork. Yet IDK much about diamond back but, it gives vibes too, like on the rims and appearance just overall.

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
I haven't seen every bike that Schwinn ever produced, but I've never seen one with the seat stay tubing pinched like that at the seat tube joint. And Schwinn quit building fillet brazed frames years before this was made. Definitely not a Schwinn.

Reactions: Freqman1

all riders

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 11, 2020
Austin, Tx
yeah some of that went through my mind too- I mean clearly remember early Schwinn mtb being different. I don't know maybe something like Royce Union or CCM. or maybe even handbuilt

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
I haven't seen every bike that Schwinn ever produced, but I've never seen one with the seat stay tubing pinched like that at the seat tube joint. And Schwinn quit building fillet brazed frames years before this was made. Definitely not a Schwinn.
Yeah Never seen but potentially frame jointing threw later paramount. This frame is prob cromolly or lighter material in line with custom and hand built pro or semi by a company, like the BMX crowed go for. All terrain like Trek but it's not a theirs either. IDK however, wasn't Diamond Back making stuff like this at first and before they sold out?

Regardless, 'stump the chump' cause the BMX and rock-hoppers prob know this frame better than TOC too ballooner old timers; ROSS (Really Old School Street).

Last edited:
This ad goes away when you register for an account!