When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do I have here??

-

JohnA

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Have come into possession with what I think is a frankenbike but would like to figure out what exactly it is. My main question at this time is what bike did this frame start it's life as. Details as I see them are: headtube has the 2 small screw holes for a Schwinn headbadge (it's missing), the top and down tube are ovalized at the headtube, it appears to be a fillet brazed frame, it has an American BB, it has canti braze-ons, the seatpost is the size of the classic Schwinn 1-1/16". Currently it has a flat crowned chrome fork with canti's, f wheel is a gold hub(ACS)/rim(forgot to look at mfg but believe it's possibly Ukai?), r wheel is a generic alloy, r der is an OLD Deore, crank is a double (again forgot to look at the mfg but it's an old crank), no f der, shifter is thumb, bars and stem are strange in that the pinch bolt on the stem for the bars goes through the stem behind the bars. Any ideas on what this frame started as and are any of the parts original to that?? Any restoration value to any of this???
Thanks for any and all help!!

Went back and took another look (bike is in storage) and find that I got a couple things wrong and learned a couple new things since / in the original post. The front rim is a Ukai. There is a f derailleur - also a Deore. The R hub is Shimano with an oil port covered by a movable clip. R rim is Araya. Canti's are marked "600" . Brake levers are Magura. So what did this frame start out as? And is this worth working on or selling off?

1.JPG

1a.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Looks like it started out as a mountain bike with 26” wheels and wider tires. Depends what you want to do with it; maybe swap the handle bars with north woods (?); add fenders, Wald kickstand, mattress-springs seat, and make it your groceries store bike?

Last edited:
If you are looking to flip it the cost for tubes and tires will exceed the value I think.There is a lot to clean up to make it look decent.If you want it for a rider then have fun and put some money into it.

Anybody know what Schwinn model this frame started it's life as?? That's what I'm really interested in finding out. I've looked through all the old catalogues on line and can find nothing that matches up to the combination of bi-oval frame, american bb and canti's.

I do not think it is a Schwinn but is an early 1982 to 1985 mountain bike of which many were made from many companies. All are similar and generally good riders. Do not sink a lot of money into it as you will never get it back. The rims look like what my 1985 Ross had. Roger

Back