When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do I have here??

-
That's a good question! Could be I'm starting out with a wrong assumption based on the screw holes in the headtube and the knowledge that Schwinn did these fillet brazed bi-oval frames. Can anyone come up with an alternative mfg that would fit??

An early ‘80s Schwinn would have a serial on the head tube. Is there any serial number on the bike? V/r Shawn

Can't believe I didn't think of that!! Guess that's why i come to the experts. I'll look for a SN Monday

I agree with it being Schwinn, the fillet braze jumped out at me too. I was in on early mtb(riding and selling) and I cant think of any other company with brazed frames(certainly may have been). Japanese (that would include American brand Diamondback) and french were all lugged. I should think that if its the right fork(probably) that the fork crown might be your best clue--unique i think, sort of a forged truss look.

Anybody know what Schwinn model this frame started it's life as?? That's what I'm really interested in finding out. I've looked through all the old catalogues on line and can find nothing that matches up to the combination of bi-oval frame, american bb and canti's.
IDK really as it ain't my area but, can't really ID frame as Schwinn, photos not clear enough. However maybe within frame group used in 80-ish of Schwinn sidewinder. And can't say it has a Schwinn fork. Yet IDK much about diamond back but, it gives vibes too, like on the rims and appearance just overall.

I haven't seen every bike that Schwinn ever produced, but I've never seen one with the seat stay tubing pinched like that at the seat tube joint. And Schwinn quit building fillet brazed frames years before this was made. Definitely not a Schwinn.

yeah some of that went through my mind too- I mean clearly remember early Schwinn mtb being different. I don't know maybe something like Royce Union or CCM. or maybe even handbuilt

I haven't seen every bike that Schwinn ever produced, but I've never seen one with the seat stay tubing pinched like that at the seat tube joint. And Schwinn quit building fillet brazed frames years before this was made. Definitely not a Schwinn.
Yeah Never seen but potentially frame jointing threw later paramount. This frame is prob cromolly or lighter material in line with custom and hand built pro or semi by a company, like the BMX crowed go for. All terrain like Trek but it's not a theirs either. IDK however, wasn't Diamond Back making stuff like this at first and before they sold out?

Regardless, 'stump the chump' cause the BMX and rock-hoppers prob know this frame better than TOC too ballooner old timers; ROSS (Really Old School Street).

Last edited:
Back