When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do I have? Pre war? Noob needs help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Back seeing the advice of those who know. FrankenSpit has a very old and poorly done red paint job. I removed part of it with stripper and there's a faded red enamel with thin white pin stripes under i (see pic). That looks original, as there's only metal below that. That doesn't jibe with the paint scheme I've seen for that year on Spitfires. Thoughts?

20220404_092645.jpg

I know of -0- Schwinns having pin stripes in that fashion. The later Tornado middleweight had three pins per tube. I'd have to say someone did those pins after a previous repaint.

1957 Tornado middleweight

That chain guard looks like mine. But the stripes are different. And the paint/stripes I see below the bad repaint look original. Wonder if what I have is a Tornado? Could the serial number lookup have been wrong?

All right, I'm having some fun with the old girl. Completely disassembled, readying for paint. Will be a Spitfire frame job with a pre war fender paint job. Celebrate the differences, I say. Surprised to find the chrome cleans up well. Learned the chain ring is a CWC (Cleveland Welding Corp) 26t Paisley. CWC made bikes back in the day too.

One last piece of the puzzle. The space between the head badge mounting holes on a standard Schwinn badge looks like 2 9/16", while the space on FrankenSpit is 3 1/4"". Anyone have a theory or knowledge here? Pictures below.

20220422_080451.jpg

20220422_092640.jpg

20220422_092810.jpg

All right, I'm having some fun with the old girl. Completely disassembled, readying for paint. Will be a Spitfire frame job with a pre war fender paint job. Celebrate the differences, I say. Surprised to find the chrome cleans up well. Learned the chain ring is a CWC (Cleveland Welding Corp) 26t Paisley. CWC made bikes back in the day too.

One last piece of the puzzle. The space between the head badge mounting holes on a standard Schwinn badge looks like 2 9/16", while the space on FrankenSpit is 3 1/4"". Anyone have a theory or knowledge here? Pictures below.

View attachment 1611592

View attachment 1611617

View attachment 1611618
The older badges were larger pre '60 I believe.

Last edited:
Well, I knew was going to learn a lot when I adopted this bike! Thanks for the info. That red badge looks like the ticket, thanks for the link

Back