When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do I have?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

web

On Training Wheels
I'm a newbie to CABE. I have a Hawthorne Tank Bike purchased 20+ years ago because I just liked the look & couldn't afford one with all the bells & whisles in
early 50's. 1199341

Decided to get it out, after looking it over looking at other similar bikes, I haven't seen another Hawthorne Deluxe with this type spring fork.
Maybe someone who knows more about these then myself can tell me why? Where is the serial / model # ? Thanks

HP Snyder built perhaps at the Michigan City Indiana plant for Montgomery Ward Chicago. Springer fork may be a later Snyder design with influence from A&S design of 1939 or so. Looks 1950’s with the chrome plated brass head badge. Often the serial sequence number is located on the seat tube mast about 6” below the seat post clamp; perhaps with a letter (e.g., “K”) followed by six digits. Another date-place code may be located on the bottom bracket for the crank housing (e.g., 35EH); such numbers are in reverse order (e.g., 1953).

Last edited:
Thank you, I'll look it over again. I pulled up several pictures of Hawthorne Deluxe & don't remember seeing another with this type spring fork.
It looked more like some of the Schwinn Spring forks. i've learned more about it in the last few days reading CABE forums & looking @ pictures then I knew before.

It looks like Schwinn springer installed incorrectly with parts from springer of another manufacturer maybe a latter huffy
Doesn't look anything like schwinn, 100% not schwinn parts at all. Completely different!!! Look again...

Generally resembles A&S design of 1939; but details may be different.

Maybe A&S should file suit against HP Snyder over something.

Did not notice the yoke at the seat post cluster earlier, looks then like a later 1950's middleweight (26 x 1.75" tires).

Last edited:
I have a ladies middleweight Rollfast with what appears to be the same fork. Sorry no pics the bike is pretty buried. I got the bike in a package deal and at first glance thought it appeared to be a Schwinn fork too. But in a side-by side comparison the difference can be seen. It looks like a well made fork. They are not common.
It looks like you have a unique bike with some cool features. Clean it up and have fun with it.

Back