When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do I Have

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cmelledge

Look Ma, No Hands!
Mike here. I picked this relic a few days ago. He had two bikes. I took pieces of both bikes. The pics do not show the wheels. I put some on it just to move it around. Told it is a 41 MW Hawthorne. If this correct should these old antiques be repainted or just serviced and ride? I do have the skip tooth crank but it was not photographed. There is a serial number under the seat on the down tube but I am yet to make it out.

F59522FC-B6AA-4320-84A0-A434EEDEF55A.jpeg

2A7725EC-01AA-4AA4-B5C1-C9195CD3349E.jpeg

CBE92E39-E830-4F95-A49E-A7E7F0EDA161.jpeg

Last edited:
Snyder built. The number for identifying the year and place of manufacture is four digits—two numbers and two letters, is either on the seat tube, or more likely the bottom bracket. The two numbers of that sequence will be the inverted year. SN=Little Falls NY and EH=Michigan City, IN.

If you search on this site for cleaning tips, that finish appears may be in good condition. You should expend some elbow grease and see how much of that rust and debris comes off. Might be beautiful underneath.

Snyder built. The number for identifying the year and place of manufacture is four digits—two numbers and two letters, is either on the seat tube, or more likely the bottom bracket. The two numbers of that sequence will be the inverted year. SN=Little Falls NY and EH=Michigan City, IN.
"Inverted Year". Do you mean if I see 14, it means it is a 1941?

"Inverted Year". Do you mean if I see 14, it means it is a 1941?
Yes, and what you called the down tube might be called the seat tube mast.

A serial number (letter followed by 6 digits) on the seat tube mast might indicate a post war bike, and I believe that in 1946, Snyder continued to use the pre-war design for the rear fork ends and chain tension adjusters.

A post war bike, would normally also have a date-place code on the bottom bracket crank hanger.

Looks like a lot of original paint, perhaps an Oxyalic(?) acid soak would bring out the original colors, or … “ruin it”.

Last edited:
That does look like a good finish under that rust. We’re on the edge of our seats for the year 😃 At least I am!!

That does look like a good finish under that rust. We’re on the edge of our seats for the year 😃 At least I am!!
The numbers and letter codes I have been given not making sense to me. I do have numbers (7) numbers. No letters. On the seat tube. Nothing on the crank bottom. ( 3250232 )

The numbers and letter codes I have been given not making sense to me. I do have numbers (7) numbers. No letters. On the seat tube. Nothing on the crank bottom. ( 3250232 )
Might Be 1946–B?

I believe that around that year or so, there were some observed mismatches, between the serial numbers’ prefixes (B,C,D), and the date-place codes (64, 74, 84).

Last edited:
The four digits are in the vicinity of that serial number, or maybe the frame is older? The four digits I refer to started in 1940. But those fender braces, which appear original to the bike (at least in the photos), are not much older. But I’m no expert, we need some experts to weigh in.

This is my 1948 Flash badged Snyder bike; the year of manufacture is confirmed as mine has the four digits. Which lends credence to Archie’s observation—-the lines and fenders appear the same.

12714D03-5D70-4064-A1F1-EE7A019DCF5B.jpeg

Back