When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you all do for Cadmium plating when restoring a bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Several platers still do cad. I use DeTray out of Independence, MO. One thing I've learned is most platers charge chrome by the piece while cad is by the job. When I have cad done I usually send in parts from about 3-4 bikes and get charged about $150. Alternatively there are some pretty decent off the shelf spray paints that will replicate cad pretty accurately.

If you're doing a high-dollar restoration, you'll want the plating done professionally. I've used some the "chrome" or "aluminum" colored spray paints in the past, and then dull the finish deliberately until I get the look I want. It's not perfect, but for a $250 bike, it will look just fine.

Good plating isn't cheap. And cheap plating isn't good. If you don't step up, you might have to pay twice....

1185931_10152021913357683_353784944_n.jpg

If your going the spray paint route... I've used Rust-oleum Flat Gray Cold Galvanizing Compound, which works really good, nice finish and durable.
Also try Testors Flat Steel 1180 in the little, square bottle (just like when you used to make plastic models). I've used this on stuff like kickstands and fender braces with good results. Cheap and easy.

testors steel.png

Back