what do you know about these Schwinn fork mount "rim brakes" I got at the swap meet ??

This ad disappears when logged in

49autocycledeluxe

Wore out three sets of tires already!
May 29, 2017
fremont california
I was out at the world famous Turlock Automotive Swap Meet a few weekends ago and found these in a tub full of other bike stuff. (ignore the crank) all 3 seem to be for the springer. I am wondering if there is a different one for the tubular truss rod fork? they looked like they would fit the springer really nice. I have seen the blade fork versions.

I was wondering what years they made these brakes and am I missing anything besides the lever.. one set looks good to go and I have new pads in the box.

post pics if you have these on a bike.

IMG_6935.JPG

island schwinn

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
May 10, 2010
Modesto,CA. 95355
The springer and tubular mounts are the same.there are different mounts for the blade fork.also different pads for straight side rims and dropcenter angled rims.I have the different sets on 2 of my bikes.i think they were available from late 30's up to the 60's.
20180829_215003.jpg

20180829_214857.jpg

Last edited:

spoker

Mar 3, 2011
Minneapolis, United States
the correct pads are black and say schwinn in raised letters,they are made of a stronger rubber to work on middle weights and balloners vs the orange/red pads made for light weights

spoker

Mar 3, 2011
i think they made the pads for the twinns but i dont remeber the other part numbers,i think bicycle bones used to have them,but if they came with these set they are the right ones

fattyre

Oct 22, 2014
Chicagoland
I’ve had two sets, one NOS and they don’t really do all that much other than flex everywhere. It's like your rims are always wet. 50 year old rubber brake pads are a bad idea if you actually wanna stop. Dragging your feet stop you faster than these "brakes".

They also have a tendoncy to rotate on springer forks even with the set screw tight from my experience. They then put nice little groves on your fork. I am not a fan.

bdp35

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 21, 2017
Houston, TX
I have a set of those as well, but I am unable to use them... I am missing one long stem caliper with the pad... do you have one to sell?

49autocycledeluxe

May 29, 2017
fremont california
the more I look at these the more I see how poorly designed they were. way too much cable and housing. too much flex. :) that won't stop me from putting them on my bike.

there is a bunch on ebay right now. brake handles as well. I wouldn't pay that much for these. we'll see if anyone else will.

spoker

Mar 3, 2011
do you have an ebay link?all i found is one cable set ,some pads and one handle

bdp35

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 21, 2017
Houston, TX
They actually work quite well. They're no different than any other center pull designed brake. These are cool, because they are removable.

I am looking for the piece (actually holds the pad) with the long stem that slides into the braking mechanism. Does anyone have one, or know where to find one?

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture