When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think should be repoped?

-
Repops

I would like to see some cross bar handlebars repoped, also some long spring saddles. Don't forget skiptooth chains.

Depends on what crossbar handlebars you're talking about because a couple of different varieties have been done. So far Scott is the only one to sort of address Jim's question of "what would you pay"? A lot of people want a steel Shelby tank--and they were reproduced in VERY limited quantities and I think the price at the time was somewhere north of $1k. I got a feeling most won't step up at that price point (or higher) and the same goes for a lot of other parts. Like I said before multi-make parts with broad application would be the only place someone could make any money and they need to be accurate. The 28" tire thing would be wonderful. This is the reason, I personally, don't mess with these bikes. Sure you can buy a decent motrobike for $500 but then you have to spend at least another $300 for crappy repo 28"s or step up for about $500+ for a modern 700cc set-up. I'm still waiting for a 2 speed Mussleman set-up for my Twin 20 hint hint. V/r Shawn

How about some real quality usable 28x1.5 single tube tires. Sure seems like there are allot of pre 33 bikes out there that could use some. Would also be nice to see them around a 100.00 each price point. Just a thought.

Agree with rustyspoke66 on 28x1.5 tires for pre-33 bikes as our ranks are growing so my short list is:

1) 700c tires - either chain tread or Vitalic copies in black/white, red/white, cream, & black
2) skiptooth chains
3) accurate Delta single cell battery canisters with accurate straps

All of these could be money makers for someone as they cross all pre-1933 brands.

shelby speed line airflow tank

Depending on the quality, I would step up to $1k + on the speed line tank.

Ken

Depends on what crossbar handlebars you're talking about because a couple of different varieties have been done. So far Scott is the only one to sort of address Jim's question of "what would you pay"? A lot of people want a steel Shelby tank--and they were reproduced in VERY limited quantities and I think the price at the time was somewhere north of $1k. I got a feeling most won't step up at that price point (or higher) and the same goes for a lot of other parts. Like I said before multi-make parts with broad application would be the only place someone could make any money and they need to be accurate. The 28" tire thing would be wonderful. This is the reason, I personally, don't mess with these bikes. Sure you can buy a decent motrobike for $500 but then you have to spend at least another $300 for crappy repo 28"s or step up for about $500+ for a modern 700cc set-up. I'm still waiting for a 2 speed Mussleman set-up for my Twin 20 hint hint. V/r Shawn

I would like to see some cross bar handlebars repoped, also some long spring saddles. Don't forget skiptooth chains.

This ^

And other wear items, like tires, CORRECT tires.

And that darned Elgin lens for the canister tail light!

every one is skating a around the question

how much would you pay for a repo metal tank ? ( fiber glass done right fills the hole ! )

shelby speed line air flow

3 rib dayton huffman or lit 40 huffman

hiawatha arrow

aero cycle

37 roadmaster supreme (the last 2 steel repops i know of sold for $3000)

38 40 clevland weld 4 gill

I am too conservative in my approach to the hobby to ever use a glass tank and only would consider a good metal copy if after years of searching, I just had to move a project along that I can economically.
I have seen autocycle, 3-rib huffman (one of which I sold) and a hiawatha arrow tank sell, but not the others so I cannot use hard numbers for those.
Hypothetically, I would pay 75% of an original tank up to 1K and 50-60% of an original above that.

I don't care if a 37RMS or a 40 Champion lit tank would go for 3K+ loose, it is still a copy and I wouldn't pay approximate dollars the higher the amount.

I think the fiber drive wheels in speedos need repopping and maybe a boy's blue phantom to keep the dollars in the hobby away from what I am interested in.

Chris

people in all sorts of hobbies struggling the same way. 5-10,000 investment to make single press dies, stampers want a minimum run how ya gonna sell 200 peices? to whom? a 20 ton stamping press isnt a backyard item, and even 100 year old models are still working. to make small parts you need an inline multi purpose die, and those are insanely expensive.
I need a seat pan for my 67 Cobra. they dont exist. stupid design, center fabric wasnt waterproof, they all rotted. you cant find one anywhere, and the market is too small to warrant a new run.
i would love a new tank for my airflow, but jesus who would buy the bike after i put all that money into it. What i would consider having made if anything, as was stated would be universal copies of accessories.
Many straight bar frames have somewhat the same size opening, I am sure a universal tank could be made that looks good, and would fit many types of bike

1) a wider variety of grips & colors
2) 28" clincher wood wheels, or what ever a modern 28" x 1.5 kenda type tire will fit.
3) 28" tires that are ridable / look similar to past treads.
4) glass lenses to fit the flat tea-cup lamp housings
5) short/fat No. 6 battery cannisters with brackets that actually look real.

I am/have done wood grips with leather wraping, battery cans (can't find suitable switch source),
TOC lamp brackets, cast fender spacers, Sliver Ray lamp bases (cast), and rack attachment clamps.

Others too, have helped, but there needs to be more of "youse guy's" at least attempting this stuff!

sears offered a prewar tank that was made to fit "universal"

Many straight bar frames have somewhat the same size opening, I am sure a universal tank could be made that looks good, and would fit many types of bike

They were silver and had clearnce for different configurations. They were silver and they look great on a regular silverking frame

Back