When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think should be repoped?

-
They were silver and had clearnce for different configurations. They were silver and they look great on a regular silverking frame

Sears also offered a universal motorbike style tank as appearing on my '37 Elgin (notice the cursive script) that was not tank equipped.

Chris

elgin moto.jpg

elgin moto.jpg

Something to consider

You need to look at what is gonna NEED the part. Not alot of Aerocycles missing tanks Yes some but not hundreds.... The little 20" parts in glass seemed to sell well. Any 20" canitlever frame could be made into something neat! I think someone could make a good profit repoping prewar straightbar tanks. its not a complicated tank other then the door and electric part and I think it could be made with or without. there are tons of empty bikes looking for those. I would like to see the a good way to get 28 bikes back on the road in a reliable way too! Good post Nic!

Huffy tanks

just for talking how much would you pay for a 3 rib dayton/huffman tank

and would they have to be steel or would fiber glass do
lets have a price for each

I'll take either I need 3

I paid about $2k in repoped parts to get this bike in shape .
It's all steel no fiberglass parts.
rbii42-1.jpg

I sold it a while back . This is a copy from my old photos.

Last edited:
The Spaceliner tanks might do ok since about 90 percent of the Spaceliner's & Western Flyer versions I see lost the tanks and maybe a version can be figured to go on other bikes.

Yeah tires, single tube 28 x 1.5, but also 26 x 1.375 for early US lightweights. That's another painful size to look for that should be reproduced.

Would love to see the Sturmey Archer type Dynohubs reproduced with the original period appearance, but with modern internals. I know there are modern ones, but none seem to look quite right to me compared to the originals.

Would like to see the Schwinn-type cables and housings (for both front and back calipers) reproduced for the early lightweights as well. I'm looking for some at the moment, actually.

I think some decent leather springer saddles could be nice too. I know you can get Brooks, but they don't always fit the bill.

Would also be interested in a cheap but precise and effective fork straightening/tweaking tool. Park made one awhile back, but it was costly from what I recall. I guess there were some others back in the day, but I've seen nothing lately for the home mechanic to really nail it down. Plenty of bikes out there have bent forks that could use fixing.

Nice fender-mounted teardrop lights are always a plus.

28 inch tires

If I took on a 28 inch single tube tire reproduction....

Do you think I could move 1000, 2000, or more tires? Less? Lets say the price is $75 each.
What color would be most popular. All white, all black, clay? black with w/w?

Any suggestions for style or design. Tread types?
Are 28 inch rims universal in size. Does a 28 inch tire from the 30's fit a bike from the 1890's.

Any advice or things to look out for?

Feel free to PM me or post here.

Im not looking to make a career of this or get rich. I just want to see all those old bikes back on the road!!

Hot sellers would be:

"Spaceliner style" tanks, which fit a wide array of desirable Sears, Murray, Western Flyer, and Hiawatha middleweights.

Muscle bike console shifter knobs. I see decals being repopped, but thats it.

Huffy headlights and headlight lenses. Commonly broken or missing entirely, I am always asked if I have spares, which I don't. These fit Huffys, Monarks, Firestones, and western Flyers, and various models of each brand.

NICE Columbia headbadges with the CORRECT HOLES!

Back