When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What goes in a rear hub?

-
I would use grease myself. Oil is very lite and burn up under braking. Good luck!

What type of hub are you talking about??? The 3-speed internal gear hubs take a lightweight oil but on the old coaster brake hubs that cap is mostly for looks as it is best to apply grease to the bearings and such internally with the hub dismantled. Pictures are always a plus.

It depends on the hub. The rebuild instructions for a whole bunch of different brands are in the Schwinn manuals here on the CABE. New Departure wants oil. Is that what it is? Grease drags like crazy in those. 3 in 1 (the old original 3 in 1 product) gums up after a few years. It is probably time to tear it down and clean the old lubricant out.

If it's a coaster brake hub nothing if you want it to stop when you put the brakes on.
Take it apart clean it grease the bearings clean the hub shell put it back together .

In requests for a picture/brand...here it is. A Torpedo hub (Sachs) circa 1944. Haven't taken it apart, yet. But I expect the bearings to be dry.

Back