When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What goes in a rear hub?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That hub is almost exactly the same as the Perry I just finished overhauling it works exactly the same way .
Do not get any grease on the inside of the hub shell and the brake cylinder .
I've had a few of the Perrys and would not put on the Vaseline like they suggest in the above Rebuild instructions .
(if you want it to stop )
Grease the bearings and use grease sparingly on the other moving parts .
While you have it apart check the inside of the hub for wear if its shiney like a mirror take some sandpaper and ruff up the surface .
It will be shiney on the brake side and dull on the drive side make it all dull .
The ribs on the brass brake cylinder also wear down and get smooth you can ruff them up like they suggest above but not too much .
Do not remove too much material .
Mine is 80 years old and will now stop on a dime before I had to stand on it to slow down .

The strap is covering the oil hole inside it is exactly the same as the Sachs
IMG_9011.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. My first job is to get the hub apart...and it's not cooperating. It's apparent that it disassembles from the drive side...put there's no pin wrench in my shop. A big screwdriver and tapping has yielded nothing. I'll keep at it - I just want to avoid damage.

Comes apart on the brake arm side not drive side and should be very easy .
put the square end of axle on the drive side in a vice or hold it with a small open end wrench or crescent wrench .
take a channel lock and remove cap nut number 2 on the diagram on the brake leaver side .

All you are doing on the drive side is removing the sprocket and you do not need to also I believe that lock ring is reverse thread .
leave it alone as it can be stripped easily .

If it is loose you can tighten it back up when it's back on the bike with a hammer and punch .
If it's not tight it will skip or slip when you pedal .
I just went through this with my bike .

Last edited:
Just realized that your hub may have the snap ring on the drive side to remove the sprocket I have both types .
But still you don't have to remove unless you are changing sprockets .

Thanks for the advice. My first job is to get the hub apart...and it's not cooperating. It's apparent that it disassembles from the drive side...put there's no pin wrench in my shop. A big screwdriver and tapping has yielded nothing. I'll keep at it - I just want to avoid damage.
the torpedo comes apart from the brake arm side

Back