What happened to bike flights?

This ad disappears when logged in

Danny the schwinn freak

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2016
Az
So I just went to ship a bike tonight through Bike Flights and discovered that they are now using UPS. Not only is this concerning in the aspect that UPS tends to be a lot tougher on packages than FedEx (in my experience) but also the pricing has climbed drastically. A bike I’ve shipped many times over weight and size wise and to the Los Angeles would normally be $55 to ship was coming up at $87 tonight. And that’s going to a business which is normally $5 cheaper than a residence. So basically that’s about a $37 increase. This is a real bummer for buyers and sellers. Just wondering if anyone else had encountered this and if anyone had any idea why the change? Super bummed about this.

blincoe

I live for the CABE
Jul 10, 2012
Watts, Los Angeles, CA, United States
Had the same problem with cabinets I sold but buyers paid shipping.

KrustyCycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
Oct 28, 2018
Spokane
Either way, it’s still a screaming good deal for a 55lbs oversized box. Hard to complain

saladshooter

I live for the CABE
Nov 30, 2014
Littleton, CO
Bikeflights probably swapped carriers because of all of the insurance claims. They'll soon find out it wasn't the carrier but the terrible pack jobs that is the problem. I feel bad for bikeflights. As I've seen a ton of bikeflights bashing threads on here which should be bikeflights praising threads for honoring/paying insurance claims for obvious packing failures. Of course there have been a few obvious carrier caused instances, but the majority of the blame lies on the packer.

My .02

Danny the schwinn freak

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2016
Az
Bikeflights probably swapped carriers because of all of the insurance claims. They'll soon find out it wasn't the carrier but the terrible pack jobs that is the problem. I feel bad for bikeflights. As I've seen a ton of bikeflights bashing threads on here which should be bikeflights praising threads for honoring/paying insurance claims for obvious packing failures. Of course there have been a few obvious carrier caused instances, but the majority of the blame lies on the packer.

My .02
Agreed 100%. I have personally shipped close to 80 bikes all over the country. I am an absolute nut when it comes to packing. I only know of one bike that got messed up and it was the rear fender getting smashed from the box being upside down. Otherwise, no issues at all. I have received bikes that were packaged very carelessly and the bikes were damaged as a result. But I never made a claim for that. It’s not the carriers fault. But I know some people who go as far as to even brag about making claims and getting money, not cool. Unfortunately it screws us all in the end. Hopefully it will all get sorted out and charges will come down a bit, but if it doesn’t, at least we know why. Bike flights has always been kick ass in my opinion.

Last edited:

Danny the schwinn freak

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2016
Az
So I just tried again after repacking a Schwinn Cruiser in a more standard sized box and I get all the way to the end of the label and it stops me and says “Oh my, our carrier partners didn’t respond to your request”. What the heck does that mean? So now 2 nights in a row I can’t even ship a bike even if I am ok with the $87 fee. This is super frustrating

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
So I just tried again after repacking a Schwinn Cruiser in a more standard sized box and I get all the way to the end of the label and it stops me and says “Oh my, our carrier partners didn’t respond to your request”. What the heck does that mean? So now 2 nights in a row I can’t even ship a bike even if I am ok with the $87 fee. This is super frustrating
I don't understand. Everything is so simple and easy these days, what could go wrong. :p

Kato

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 10, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I just tried to do the normal info thing and got the same “Oh my, our carrier partners didn’t respond to your request”.
Anybody else have issues with this - a solution on how to get past or fix.........?
I'll be calling BikeFlights and UPS on Monday to try and get info.

Never had any issues with FedEx.......UPS 0 for 1

Danny the schwinn freak

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2016
Az
I got a call back yesterday from them and it had to do with me putting in the zip code in on the first screen. The lady instructed me to just type the city in and a list of possible options would pop up, then select my choice. I did it again and it worked. She also told me that the rates should be going down in the next few weeks. Hopefully things smooth out because at this point I’m feeling quite discouraged about the changes in carriers.

Kato

Dec 10, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I got a call back yesterday from them and it had to do with me putting in the zip code in on the first screen. The lady instructed me to just type the city in and a list of possible options would pop up, then select my choice. I did it again and it worked. She also told me that the rates should be going down in the next few weeks. Hopefully things smooth out because at this point I’m feeling quite discouraged about the changes in carriers.
I tried that.......entered zip - choices dropped down so I chose the one I wanted and got the message
Maybe i'll try it again later.........after a couple beers :)

Danny the schwinn freak

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2016
Az
I tried that.......entered zip - choices dropped down so I chose the one I wanted and got the message
Maybe i'll try it again later.........after a couple beers :)
Hmm, might have to call them. Poor people who answer the phones have been taking a beating. It’s not their fault, go easy on them

Kato

Dec 10, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Hmm, might have to call them. Poor people who answer the phones have been taking a beating. It’s not their fault, go easy on them.
Ended up going with ShipBikes and everything went just fine - actually very happy and went smooooooooooooth !!
Basically the same type service as Bikeflights - drop at FedEx and they handle the bike.
Shipped the bike for $60.........BikeFlights started at $89.95 and that was without insurance and before it locked up again with same message

Jay81

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 26, 2015
Roseville MI
I've shipped 3 bike related items through shipbikes so far, since bikeflights switched to ups. So far, zero issues.
I also checked bikeflights prices for each of the 3 labels, and all 3 were slightly cheaper through shipbikes. Plus I have the convenience of dropping them off at the same location as before.

The only thing I found mildly frustrating about shipbikes is, I can't for the life of me figure out how to set up an account like I have with bikeflights. It's nice to have some of the info saved so I don't have to type everything each time.
The only thing I can see on shipbikes website is a page to log in to an existing account, but nowhere to create one.

OldSkipTooth

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Aug 6, 2015
Sebastopol, United States
Sadly, this means the vultures who sell bikes on eBay and want $150. for shipping, will now want $200. To hell in a hand basket I say!

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture