When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What if Schwinn built this....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Schwinndemonium

Finally riding a big boys bike
This thread is for those who may have never seen this. bike.

5 speed jag..JPG

Me riding my 1961 custom 5 speed Mk IV Jaguar in 2013..JPG

In around 2009, I wanted to build a "What if" fantasy bike that Schwinn never did, but it should have been offered in 1961 and 1962 along side their 5 speed Corvette. So in 2009 and 2010, using all somewhat period Schwinn parts and a base 1961 Mark IV Jaguar 3 speed bike, I took the drive train from a 1966 Collegiate 5 speed and integrated it into this old Jag and made it look factory. I used the stem shifter from the Collegiate as well so there will not be any tank clearance issues. This is the resulting bike I came up with. I present you with, the new for 1961, the Schwinn Mark IV Jaguar 5 speed with derailleur gears. Probably would have marketed for around 5 dollars more than the 5 speed Corvette back then. It cost me a small mint to build this thing in 2010, including a total repaint of the frame and the topside of the chainguard in the original Radiant green. It is still my dream flagship bike, today.

IMG_1679.JPG

1961 Custom Jag 5 speed drive train.JPG

Last edited:
Back