When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO GET INTO THE HOBBY

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
ML sent me the Prewar Schwinn book and a few phone calls to Gary at Team bikes etc and I found that the yellow frame did not take the Motorbike tank- it was called a C model and that I would have a time trying to find that tank!

image.jpg

I got into the hobby back in about 1994 or so, when I found and refurbished my father's old J.C. Higgins Middleweight. In 1997, I graduated to my grandfather's 1936 Schwinn Henderson, and refurbished that. I got into old three speed bikes a few years later when I began commuting to class in college on an old 1974 Raleigh Sports three speed. I always rode for a hobby and exercise in my free time - around local roads, visiting a lake or park, etc. Today my collection is mostly old three speed bikes from just before WWII up through the 1970s - Schwinns and Raleighs.

It’s kind of gray, when was the actual beginning?
I recall moving some bicycles around, from one place to another, just “cleaning up” the property; a 70s derailleur, a 90s MTB, and a 90s beach cruiser.

Then for some reason started searching the internet for parts or accessories (or paint, I forget which?). I purchased one of those GT Dyno Kustom Kruisers (used) because I liked the cruiser retro styling, and soon started looking at and acquiring the real thing.
I don't recall seeing any pics of your machines? How about a peek at the Archie museum?

How about a peek at the Archie museum?
No museum planned; and no museum bikes neither.
Below is a recent rusty rat rod project thrown together that I did not post in the DBR thread; (parts may pre-date the balloon-tire forum).

Not sure of the presumed New York maker, (Emblem, Snyder?); still looking for the right size tank.

Last edited:
No museum planned; and no museum bikes neither.
Below is a recent rusty rat project thrown together that I did not post in the DBR thread, (parts may pre-date the balloon-tire forum).
View attachment 1754513
Not sure of the presumed New York maker, (Emblem, Snyder?); still looking for the right tank.
Cool bike but I don’t think it ever had a tank.

One day back in my college days (circa 1994) I looked at my father's old Saintropez 3 speed, which he parked in 1982 after deciding that running was better exercise than cycling. I took it for a ride and decided I wanted to get back into riding. I bought a cheap Huffy mountain bike and started riding each day.

After a few months, the Huffy's front hub cracked. In the summer of 1995, I found a 1977 Ross Gran Eurosport for $15 at a garage sale, which became my main rider.

Having always had an interest in vintage items, I then became curious about older bikes, and stumbled across a 1960 Schwinn Mark IV Jaguar at my church's rummage sale. Fenders, tank, racks, and light were all missing. Asking price was $10 - sold! The owner of the local Schwinn dealership was also a collector/restorer. He helped me piece the bike back together. The rest is history. Fast forward to 2019, and my collection was up to 60 bikes. I've now been in the hobby for 27 years.

I sold the Jaguar over the summer, as I was thinning out my collection. Hated to let it go, but I decided that the '52 Panther was the better bike to hold on to. (My collection is now down to 33 bikes. Still feels like too many) A lot of bikes have come and gone over the years, but the old Ross is still here and it gets ridden occasionally, despite my moving on to much better, higher end rides. It has zero collector value, but a lot of sentimental value. I used it on a lot of rides with friends who have since moved away. It's probably the one bike I would run into the house to save from a fire. 🤣

20221030_183159.jpg

Last edited:
Back