When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO GET INTO THE HOBBY

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
A better search feature would make a big difference, seems like unless you type the exact title letter for letter it hard to find sometime, I have trouble finding my own old threads sometimes if I don't remember the exact wording!, I guess this could go in Pet Peeves!

Click on find threads above on the tool bar. That will show you all your threads. Or click on the arrow on the side and that will give you a choice of all your postings.

1669529989412.png

WILL I GUESS I DIDN'T REALIZE I HAVE SUCH A BIG INFLUENCE ON HERE AS A ROLE MODEL.... I SHOULD TAKE MORE RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT I POST..... DID NOT REALIZE THAT I HAD POSTED A SIMILAR THREAD IN THE PAST..... BUT I DO NOT WANT TO BRING DIVISION BETWEEN MEMBERS OF THE CABE.. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT THAT... WE ARE HERE FOR THE BIKE,S / FRISNDS / PARTS / STORIES & CAMARADERIE...... WE ARE GOOD PEOPLE DOING GOOD THINGS FOR [ OUR ] HOBBY [ [ [ AS IN ALL OF US ] ] ]... I DONT WANT MEMBERS TO HAVE TO PICK SIDES OVER MY THREADS & POSTS.... THERE IS A ENOUGH DIVISION IN THE WORLD ALREADY... LET US MAKE OUR COMMUNITY & HOBBY STRONGER FOR THE NEXT GENERATION OF CARETAKERS & COLLECTORS..........

It’s kind of gray, when was the actual beginning?
I recall moving some bicycles around, from one place to another, just “cleaning up” the property; a 70s derailleur, a 90s MTB, and a 90s beach cruiser.

Then for some reason started searching the internet for parts or accessories (or paint, I forget which?). I purchased one of those GT Dyno Kustom Kruisers (used) because I liked the cruiser retro styling, and soon started looking at and acquiring the real thing.

Last edited:
I was born, raised and still live in Shelby, Ohio. Growing up, I heard stories all the time about Shelby bikes that were built here. While still in high school, I decided I needed to find a Shelby bike to at least save a little if my town’s history. After that first bike, things got kind of out of hand. Lol.

Tim Newmeyer

I still have that first Shelby bike I bought back in 1982.

4C902643-1813-4AA3-A8A3-5243C7D11451.jpeg

AAFB095E-2F98-46F1-9061-21FBF3FBDE7D.jpeg

Dave’s right though.
As a lesson for the future, look at the bottom of the page, before you hit the send button on your latest greatest new idea for a thread.
It will tell you if 15 other guys have already had the same idea.
Half of those 15 guys might even have been you, which seems to be the case here.
One of the previous threads on this subject, was posted by Handlebar Hoarder!
Not a big deal, nothing to get in a twist about.
Just a good lesson learned for the future.
Take a look at the already been chewed list at the bottom of the page before you hit the send button.
Now, what would really be cool, is if we had that feature for photographs.
I can’t tell you how many repeat posts there have been on the Bikes and Babes, or the Original No Discussion Photographs thread.
Crazy redundancy there.
Just sayin!🤔

A better search feature would make a big difference, seems like unless you type the exact title letter for letter it hard to find sometime, I have trouble finding my own old threads sometimes if I don't remember the exact wording!, I guess this could go in Pet Peeves!
I agree, maybe it's old age, or the fact that I enjoy participating in so many threads, that I wonder if I've posted. Just lately I learned that I can view my postings and even ( I think?) search specific topics? At my age I kinda missed the technical boat and I find that "Dos" isn't used anymore for computer applications? What the heck is an "app" anyway? Cheese on a cracker? Ha!!

I got the bike bug as a love for the style and freedom they represent. I quote my words as part of an old thread on the Aerocycle "The appeal of vintage bicycles to me are motorcycle or space ship, art deco, muscle car/bike or racer style look." They are cool, and I dig cool stuff.

I needed bodywork on a ‘50 Chevy pickup in Pasadena in 1990 and my buddy Tim Henkels agreed to do it. I brought it over and found the entire back of his dad’s driveway/ garage was full of these fat tired bicycles - some of them with built in headlights - some of them original paint- ( a B6)-sitting outside- upside down- with rainwater puddles in the fenders- !- I said -“ shouldn’t we upright them to save the fenders? “ and I was told “NO. Do not TOUCH the bikes ! “- “And- when he gets home - DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE BIKES -!”
Later I took some pictures and went home and studied them. He also gave me some unused decals which were scattered about the yard- some said MOTORBIKE and some said ‘Streamlined Aerocycle’. It was explained to me that a Schwinn Motorbike does not have a motor. What?When the dad came home he was grumpy but - when I asked about the bikes he took me into the house to show me the ‘Wizzer’ and a ‘White Phantom’ ( custom resto) -
I became focused on a house painted yellow ‘straight bar’ frame with an Excelsior badge on it- ( couldn’t believe that Schwinn and Excelsior motorcycles could be wedded together on a bike badge!-)-and was told again “not to talk about the bikes”.
One Saturday Tim was off to the store and the dad was there and I told him I was interested in a frame and we started a 3 week long negotiation- the day I closed the deal felt like Christmas .
He then directed me to The Pedal Pusher in OC- and Memory Lane Classics catalog. Then TeamBikes in HB. They routed me to the OC bike swap meet which at the time was on the 405/ Beach Bl off ramp. Next was Doc Gibsons meet, San Dimas, Anaheim Schwinn, and the big Main st lot show in Huntington.

image.jpg

Back