When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a silver horse bicycle?

-

sasah

On Training Wheels
I'm new here and not an enthusiast per se, but i like old bikes and want a new one. I found this bike, a Silver Horse Modell de luxe on a danish second hand site going for the equivalent of about 340 usd. I can't find anything about the brand online except for one facebook post selling another used silver horse and a reference to it in a digitised danish autobiography. The seller said it was a rare vintage bike and the facebook post said it might be from the 60's.

I guess I want to know if its an ok deal, but also im just intrigued about a piece of cultural ephemera that i can barely find any record of existing.

Can anyone here help me out?

Screenshot 2022-09-18 at 15.31.05.png

Hello, Sasha, and Welcome.

Danish and Dutch bikes tend to be quite traditional in comparison to some other countries, so you see old looking bicycles (here, the chain guard looks very 1930's onwards), which are quite modern.

The pedals with reflectors, the reflectors in the wheels and the plastic 3 Speed gear change are all no earlier than the 1970's, The three speed is European made, and a good brand, Torpedo.

Now, I appreciate that is 50 years ago, and so may be what you are looking for in an old bicycle (many here have bicycles 100 years old or more).

It looks in good condition, it has been used some, (at least one of the tyres has been changed). It is probably a good traditional rider. I cannot comment on the price, other than it would be high for the USA, and certain parts of Europe, but I do not know bicycle prices in Denmark.

As you know from your search, there is little information out there on this bike, so it is not a classic make, and could even be Chinese (look at Seagull bicycles which are Chinese for comparison).

For reference, here are the other photos of it:

1663509572409.png

1663509673778.png

1663509732627.png

Let us know what you do.

Best Regards,

Adrian

I've got one that has some interesting similarities to yours. A Batavus Flying Dutchman. Here's my build journal if you're interested. We've estimated that this bike is about an '87 model. It rides so great.

PXL_20220901_221657787.PORTRAIT.jpg

Back