When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is causing squeeky spokes on my rebuilt wheel ??!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

49autocycledeluxe

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I wanted to change the rear hub on my old wheel from a Musselman to a New Departure skip tooth. these are rusty wheels going on a rusty bike so I reused the rusty spokes. built it all up, with a 4 cross pattern and everything was peachy until I rode it. coasting along there is no noise, same with light pedaling. if I step up the pedaling a bit it squeeks, first I thought it was the chain, but it makes the same squeek when pedaling as I get when I squeeze the spokes.

I did the 4 cross with the spoke under the 4th crossing. so I figure my options are to ride it until the spokes break or stop making noise, or maybe go back and redo the lacing without the cross under the spoke. I also kind of figure the noise may be from rusty rough spokes rubbing rather than new clean ones??

this is my second wheel so I am still plugging along not clearly knowing what I am doing yet. I laced it 3 times with a 3 cross before I realized I need to go 4 cross.

anyone out there that knows what they are doing have any suggestions.:)

I also kind of figure the noise may be from rusty rough spokes rubbing rather than new clean ones??

Plated spokes can squeak. Rust or corrosion certainly doesn't help either. Spoke tension is probably the most common reason for spokes squeaking. Spokes flex more and therefore rub on each other more. You could not "lace" the spokes and that will stop the noise like you mentioned too. But if you haven't already heard, there is an endless debate on this subject. It's almost like politics. But don't let that get in the way of tension.

Building up good spoke tension on old spokes & nipples can get tricky. It is certainly time consuming if you are looking for the best results possible. If one spoke breaks or you round out a nipple it's all going to go downhill from there unless you completely un tension to replace the faulty component. Some might say that you don't need to do that (untensioning), but the truth is in how equal your spoke tension is & how much vertical hop your wheel has. The ultimate truth being durability. Even tension is what makes strong durable wheels, not the rims (at least not steel rims) or hubs or cross pattern or if you cross the spokes over etc.

I've found that it's well worth the time when re using old spokes to "match" a spoke & a nipple to make sure they don't bind up when tensioning. Bound up spokes will only tension so much. Resistance builds, your spoke wrench starts to get loose, you see fresh brass and you've got yourself some trouble that you don't want after hours of work.

My suggestion is to ride it until the spokes break. Two to three foot drops will certainly help your situation. Riding friends on the pegs you installed will also add to the excitement of wheel durability. Than replace them with modern stainless and your troubles will be forever behind you with this wheelset.

Hmmmm…….loose, low-tension spokes tend to "pop", not squeak.......could be something else... Slather some grease onto the spokes where the spokes cross AND touch...rub it in well...wipe excess off and ride it again. I think it is something else.........

It sounds like your tension on the spokes is your problem

could be. maybe I need to give every spoke a quarter turn until it stops. the rim is true and tension seems close using the tap a screwdriver on the spoke by the nipple and listen method.

as for spokes and nipples, while this was a crusty wheel someone had recently trued it before I got it. the spokes and nipples threaded pretty nice. the front wheel in this set is very true and spins for days. I worked or replaced any sticky spokes with other rusty spokes I had. as for new stainless spokes I was halfway thinking of new spokes but I would have to paint them rust color or they would stand out.

as for pop vs squeek... maybe this is more of a pop or even a crackle.

I'll tighten up the spokes and see what happens.:)

Sounds like you did exactly what I did. I too laced up my first rim with 3x instead of 4x. On my first go, I went under the last spoke. I chose, instead, to just go over the second time I laced it like the original. My og spokes where lightly pitted and covered in a gross primer. I ended up using 400 grit sandpaper to shine up the og spokes and remove the rust. Then, as a preventative measure, I sprayed each spoke with a clear coat. Laced up like they were new after that, and I don't have to worry about the spokes rotting anytime soon.

well ding dang darn it all... I tightened the spokes and that did not make a difference, so I redid the cross under lacing and it still does it. the spokes are not rubbing now, so it was not the spokes rubbing to begin with.

well ding dang darn it all... I tightened the spokes and that did not make a difference, so I redid the cross under lacing and it still does it. the spokes are not rubbing now, so it was not the spokes rubbing to begin with.

Is it possible something in the hub is not lubricated properly? Perhaps the nipples are rubbing in the rim holes.

Back