When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is going on here?

-
Goodnight then. I might get another 1/16 out of th. Is but its OK and cran. k doesn't wobble this pic and other not only shows crank is square with frame but that rear fender is not fitting. Good luck

uploadfromtaptalk1513565829171.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1513565992515.jpg

Problem solved but it wasn't quite what I thought it would be. After the frame was proven to be in alignment, I ended up pulling the crank off another B6 and installed to see if there was more clearance...yes there was and it cleared the chain guard too! Sweet. What was different about this crank? I noticed the crank in question was missing this washer:
371a5d7f775ce4aa855ac7cf791c5d7e.jpg

Problem solved right? I found another washer, installed it and...crank still didn't clear the chain guard. What? This is strange...I pulled the chainring off of both cranks to compare the good to the bad. Here is the good crank against a straight edge. I marked around the crank keg with pencil onto the bench top for reference.
616d295e4df66198d1c96e9af5cdedfb.jpg

Next was the second crank that didn't clear the chain guard (zoom in and you will see the outline of the good crank:(
a99a5bad454642ac839514b310feda82.jpg

It turns out that this crank was bent too? That seems improbable so I dig up a third crank and it doesn't match the good crank either:
90fe16490d7612e907afd3c497bbfaad.jpg

I pull out a 4th crank and ding ding...I found a winner. It had the same profile as the good crank.
ecf8fc4ff37fb17e7be6a54f9aee7766.jpg

And it clears the guard...yay!!!!
8bf0e596c91b949f5a27c3823a33f640.jpg

So what's the story? Did two bent cranks send me down a rabbit hole? Seems like it. Are the cranks used on B6 different than other post war models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you got it all figured out. The crank that's bent looks like the bend starts at the beginning of drive side threading. How does someone bend a crank like that?
My middleweight cranks look to be identical to those other than the cast markings.

Problem solved but it wasn't quite what I thought it would be. After the frame was proven to be in alignment, I ended up pulling the crank off another B6 and installed to see if there was more clearance...yes there was and it cleared the chain guard too! Sweet. What was different about this crank? I noticed the crank in question was missing this washer:
View attachment 727390

Problem solved right? I found another washer, installed it and...crank still didn't clear the chain guard. What? This is strange...I pulled the chainring off of both cranks to compare the good to the bad. Here is the good crank against a straight edge. I marked around the crank keg with pencil onto the bench top for reference.
View attachment 727391

Next was the second crank that didn't clear the chain guard (zoom in and you will see the outline of the good crank:(
View attachment 727513
It turns out that this crank was bent too? That seems improbable so I dig up a third crank and it doesn't match the good crank either:
View attachment 727392

I pull out a 4th crank and ding ding...I found a winner. It had the same profile as the good crank.
View attachment 727393
And it clears the guard...yay!!!!
View attachment 727394

So what's the story? Did two bent cranks send me down a rabbit hole? Seems like it. Are the cranks used on B6 different than other post war models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great information! Thanks for posting!

Back