When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is going on with this rusty Schwinn I bought this weekend....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I recommend that you save what’s left of the original paint. They turn out really beautiful with a good cleaning and some clear coat. You only get original paint once! Check out the before and after on this 45. You’ll see what I mean. 👍🏻

I won't be painting this one. my preliminary inspection of the paint tells me it will not be coming back to anything resembling it's former glory so I am going to more or less leave it alone. it will look a lot like your DX there. I did this lightweight and am still in the process of putting all the parts back on. I could tell after a few seconds rubbing the paint it would come back .. did this one by wet sanding with 2000 grit, and rubbing compound ... bet I have 10 hours into just the paint .

I won't be painting this one. my preliminary inspection of the paint tells me it will not be coming back to anything resembling it's former glory so I am going to more or less leave it alone. it will look a lot like your DX there. I did this lightweight and am still in the process of putting all the parts back on. I could tell after a few seconds rubbing the paint it would come back .. did this one by wet sanding with 2000 grit, and rubbing compound ... bet I have 10 hours into just the paint .

View attachment 1426455

View attachment 1426456

I thought the same thing about thinking it was too far gone but I did an OA bath on this 39 DX and I was very pleasantly surprised !! Here are the before and after pics

E01927D2-52CC-4C64-9BF7-AD63D3A4C40B.jpeg

FCA375AB-7C76-4B8F-A8D0-84564484F6DC.jpeg

A9A230E6-67D0-48A6-8E05-E3F771C6FD04.jpeg

Thank you for not parting your new bike! That thing is beautiful as is and will make an amazing cruiser!

if I part a bike out it is parts for my own projects. I have a ladies 1950 "World" and the wheels, forks and handlebars will go on a '53 men's frame I have. I may make a men's frame out of it using a bent mens frame I have.... or I may build the ladies frame into an "old bike" with later parts that are not as rare as the 50 parts. I never throw anything away someone else can use. they stopped making old bikes a long time ago, so we need to preserve these relics.

cars are different. I parted out a 51 and 53 Chevrolet, and a 1960 El Camino. NOTHING a person could use went to the scrappers. all 3 were junk and could never be rebuilt. I bet I had 150-200 ebay auctions for each of those cars. for the hours it took to do it all I could have made more money working evenings at Wal-Mart, but where's the fun in that?

if I part a bike out it is parts for my own projects. I have a ladies 1950 "World" and the wheels, forks and handlebars will go on a '53 men's frame I have. I may make a men's frame out of it using a bent mens frame I have.... or I may build the ladies frame into an "old bike" with later parts that are not as rare as the 50 parts. I never throw anything away someone else can use. they stopped making old bikes a long time ago, so we need to preserve these relics.

cars are different. I parted out a 51 and 53 Chevrolet, and a 1960 El Camino. NOTHING a person could use went to the scrappers. all 3 were junk and could never be rebuilt. I bet I had 150-200 ebay auctions for each of those cars. for the hours it took to do it all I could have made more money working evenings at Wal-Mart, but where's the fun in that?
If your interested in letting that bike or any of its pieces go….I’d be interested

Ive parted two bikes in my life and both were scuttled together bikes in the first place so i didnt feel too bad and both went on to become whole bikes again by the folks who got the frame and fork.
Im a bit of a Mother Theresa to old rusted things for some reason...maybe its in my personality or whatever but I tend to save and hang onto things I know others would part out. Im about to go save a car that we found in a ravine and its half buried sideways. I plan on putting it back on the road to rescue it but also to silence those who say it will never see road again.

Ive parted two bikes in my life and both were scuttled together bikes in the first place so i didnt feel too bad and both went on to become whole bikes again by the folks who got the frame and fork.
Im a bit of a Mother Theresa to old rusted things for some reason...maybe its in my personality or whatever but I tend to save and hang onto things I know others would part out. Im about to go save a car that we found in a ravine and its half buried sideways. I plan on putting it back on the road to rescue it but also to silence those who say it will never see road again.
Oh THANK GOODNESS!!! I was have chest pains for a minute!! Lmao!!

Back