When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is going on with this rusty Schwinn I bought this weekend....

-

49autocycledeluxe

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
A51118 serial, bikehistory.org says Built: 11/28 of 1951.

wheels are drop center, and the rear has a Bendix hub with a skip tooth gear. never seen a Bendix with a skip tooth, has a skip tooth Sweetheart sprocket.

I didn't see any bikes with the train light and a skip tooth chain in my searches, and as far as I know these rims were not used after 1948. my 1949 B6 has S-2's, regular chain and a "Phantom" sprocket.

I think it has an admiral head badge.

the junk in the first picture is what I bought at the Marin Bike Museum swap where I bought this bike, and the Alameda Point Antique show last weekend.🙂

got 4 used Schwinn tires for half of what I paid for two new ones that fit poorly and bounce down the road.

Last edited:
I was thinking 46 47 48 due to the wheels. What about the Bendix brake? I thought they used New Departure in these years.

part it out!

or do a full restore!

early post war b6 46 most likey...some had 1" pitch...

send me the little blue car.
The driver lost his head in the last race. Do you collect rubber cars?.. I don't like parting bikes. I may just dip the chome in evaporust but leave the frame and rebuild everything else. The brake will go on my 49 B6 that I have had for 35 years. Those serial # websites are not as accurate as I would have hoped.

Seat post came out as did the handle bar stem. One of my recent buys I was not so lucky. Razor stem stuck in a 1950 lightweight fork. 2 of the reasons I bought it.

That site with the Punch In Your Serial Number is a waste of time, but it's easy. Kinda like pulling the handle down on a slot machine.

You might have to measure the thickness of your drop outs to figure out the year. With drop centers I'd guess 46, but the stand?

Here's what @Porkchop measures for thickness

"Seems to be a 46 based on the vin number. If it’s a 46 it should have thin rear drop outs. Also could have a tapered kick stand or raised AS seat post clamp. How ever it does appear that this bike has had some changes done to it...wheels, crank sprocket, pedals. I just measured both of the rear drop outs on my early bikes and they’re .140 and .130. My 1952 spitfire is.165 and so is my 1954 phantom."

Hi! The A vin numbers were used in 1946. The fender light housing on that bike is also a 1946. In 46 they used a light housing were the rear screw had a deeper recess than all the other years and this bike has that! Do it have a raised AS seat post clamp and thin rear drop outs.
thanks for all that info. I may have that seat post clamp, it was pretty crusty and I pulled it and dropped in my bucket of Evaporust. I noticed the clamp itself was different but did not notice the AS. I'll have to check the other things when I get home tonight.

thanks for all that info. I may have that seat post clamp, it was pretty crusty and I pulled it and dropped in my bucket of Evaporust. I noticed the clamp itself was different but did not notice the AS. I'll have to check the other things when I get home tonight.
I recommend that you save what’s left of the original paint. They turn out really beautiful with a good cleaning and some clear coat. You only get original paint once! Check out the before and after on this 45. You’ll see what I mean. 👍🏻

9903BCB0-5F4D-47BF-A9F2-1FB3ED4384D8.png

63B1B62C-6025-4919-99FD-110A35E89888.jpeg

164658D1-D599-4B2C-BDDA-E044C850FD1A.jpeg

Back