When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is it?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

REC

I live for the CABE
In Memoriam
I bought this a few years ago and thought it may be a Colson. Please take a look and help me figure it out.

Serial number is on the bottom bracket housing and is toward the front in positioning - S/N is E55396 C (spaced similarly)

I am very interested to know what it was. What it is now is a frame thanks to the Savage Baggage Masters at UPS. The wheels and fenders were destroyed in shipping the fork, frame and crank survived, though I am not sure the crank sprocket is flat as it should be.

Thanks in advance for your help!

REC

Forgot to mention - This is a 20" bike

Attachments

• PW 20 1 150.jpg
    PW 20 1 150.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 236
Similar chainring to some early ladies & juvenile Colsons, but the dropouts don't look it. Can you get a closer pic?

Looks like a Cleveland Welding Company bicycle. Can you post more pictures? Could have been badged Roadmaster, Hawthorne, Hiawatha or Western Flyer. Serial number is around 1947, I would have to check my list. If you look closely, there should be a small "w" in the big"C" (Cleveland Welding)

Last edited:
Looks like a Cleveland Welding Company bicycle. Can you post more pictures? Could have been badged Roadmaster, Hawthorne, Hiawatha or Western Flyer. Serial number is around 1947, I would have to check my list. If you look closely, there should be a small "w" in the big"C" (Cleveland Welding)

Home run.
The little W is present. The books I have don't show the straight downtube on the late 40s models so I'm still curious as to the age. It is going to be re-done shortly, but it would be nice to know how old it is.

Thanks to all who responded

REC
EDIT: Photo of serial number added

Attachments

• 02537 1.jpg
    02537 1.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
I've posted a photo of the serial number. Still looking for approximate age (though one reply states it may be a 47.) The reason I'm still wondering is none of the reference stuff I've found shows the straight downtube that late. Further assistance appreciated, reference material even MORE appreciated.

Thanks
REC

I've seen a couple other 20" bikes with the straight downtube, but I wasn't able to get a serial number. I think they changed to the curved down tube for the 20" bikes around 1950/51, but I have no proof to back that up. I believe that serial number is 1947 offhand. If there is a hole in the top of the rear fender, you are missing a rack. I have one of these bikes as well, but I think mine is a 53 (I'll have to check when I can get to it) I'll get pictures as well for you. I have an original girls 20" as well.

Ratina,
Thanks for the updated info. As far as the fenders - they are long gone. The front one was wrapped around the wheel and (remainder of the)tire on arrival, the rear was absolutely flat in the back and the wheel matched it perfectly. Appears it was either dropped or thrown off a cliff in shipping. The photo of the whole bike was the ad from which I purchased it. I wanted it for the frame - Oh so cool a design! So it will get a rebuild into a mate for the "Colson turned BMX" I built up last year while recovering from the hospital vacation.

It is going to be a neat bike, and the parts for it are mostly on hand already, just need to finish fixing up the "boo-boos" on the frame before color is applied.

Thanks again!
REC

Back