When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is it?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

pgroah

Finally riding a big boys bike
I got this bike recently it has no headbadge, I cant seem to find much information on it. what I can find makes me think it is a 1942 early war bicycle, possibly elgin or murray/huffman?

Attachments

• DSC02467.jpg
    DSC02467.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC02468.jpg
    DSC02468.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC02469.jpg
    DSC02469.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC02470.jpg
    DSC02470.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 137
Nice bike! the chainring is probably your biggest clue. I really like these, you don't see too many.
What size are the wheels?

Looks like a Dayton/Huffman sprocket and chainguard. If it was a wartime bike, it'd have blacked out hubs at least, some had black sprockets and handlebars too.

the tires

the tires that were on the wheels were petrified but you could make out 26x1.375 on them.

Kind of reminds me of this bike. Wish I could remember where I found this picture.
Those are some RARE tires. Anyone know where to find them?
fdbdown-1.jpg

I hear Schwinn S6 tires will work should I try them? They are 597 ISO vs 599 for the 26x1.375's Thanks
Depends on the tolerances... I've seen tires that were supposed to fit (26x2.125) a bike but were several mm small, and a bear to get properly seated. The opposite problem can be worse. Put a little air pressure, maybe 20# in them, and spin the rim while holding the axle. Watch the sidewalls, there should be a line just visable outside the rim. That will tell you if the bead is seated properly. If there is a bulge you need to shove that in before you put any more air in the tire. Dips will sometimes come out with more pressure, sometimes you have to work the tire sideways. Sometimes more pressure helps, sometimes it just traps the bead in the wrong place. Placing the wheel on the floor at a 45* angle and stepping on the tire, then moving the rim towards the floor can help.

s6 tires

So it sounds like you are saying give it a try. I think ill go get a pair of s6's and stretch them on and take the old bike for a ride.

Back