When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is my Great Grandfather riding?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jim Barnard

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Sometime between 1904 and 1905, my Great Grandfather, Patino Lodivico, came over from Italy to race in the NYC velodrome. He was a sponsored racer and somewhere in my family there exists a watch he won. What is he riding and why is his jersey lettered so oddly? He settled in Hartford, CT, so I suspect ties with Col Pope and company.

IMG_4510[1].JPG
IMG_4511[1].JPG

Can anyone read Italian?

IMG_4512[1].JPG

Great photo, great story!
Can't make out what the 3rd & 4th words say. I guess you understand the rest as it's fairly obvious.
What do you mean by "lettered oddly"?
I think if Patino was stood upright, facing the camera, the lettering of "Hartford" would run diagonally from his right shoulder downwards towards his left hip.
No idea what the lower line reads, there was a "Hartford Wheel Club".
Try the local newspaper archive or historical society perhaps.

I no speak-a de Italiano but running some twists in translators I think he's trying to say, yet, perhaps lacking full spelling /handwriting skills , or the translators are askew for this period and or ya just can't put certain handwriting styles yet, into translators. BUTT as in BUTTHEAD: .

'LEanno 19 5 Mise Lugio'

Anno Mese luglio = Year Month July.

"The year: 1905, Month: July.

Patino Lo Dovico, "

I>E> quite possible his actual last name was lost in transltion or immigration. Lo Dovico vs Lodivico
La De Vico. seems quite possible too. Indicating, as 'La', and 'De' can mean 'thee' or 'the 'and 'from or 'of'' and variables of the like, ( I no remembers wtf male and female possessives mean in Spanish, French and Italian or was all about, yet it has something to do when using Le, De, La and other spit. Oh yeah, I didn't GAS too ;)), Butt as in Butthead; , Potentially, he's of some sort of generation from the Vico family, if that exists; 'like' 300-3,000 Italian, Roman or Greek years ago. . :sunglasses:

And for the uniform Maybe Hartford sponsored his immigration? or he came over shortly before this and perhaps did so well in his first US race, Hartford grabbed him..

U gonna needs some TOC bike and head badge collectors to discover the bike.

Last edited:
I no speak-a de Italiano but running some twists in translators I think he's trying to say, yet, perhaps lacking full spelling /handwriting skills , or the translators are askew for this period and or ya just can't put certain handwriting styles yet, into translators. BUTT as in BUTTHEAD: .

'LEanno 19 5 Mise Lugio'

Anno Mese luglio = Year Month July.

"The year: 1905, Month: July.

Patino Lo Dovico, "

I>E> quite possible his actual last name was lost in transltion or immigration. Lo Dovico vs Lodivico
La De Vico. seems quite possible too. Indicating, as 'La', and 'De' can mean 'thee' or 'the 'and 'from or 'of'' and variables of the like, ( I no remembers wtf male and female possessives mean in Spanish, French and Italian or was all about, yet it has something to do when using Le, De, La and other spit. Oh yeah, I didn't GAS too ;)), Butt as in Butthead; , Potentially, he's of some sort of generation from the Vico family, if that exists; 'like' 300-3,000 Italian, Roman or Greek years ago. . :sunglasses:

And for the uniform Maybe Hartford sponsored his immigration? or he came over shortly before this and perhaps did so well in his first US race, Hartford grabbed him..

U gonna needs some TOC bike and head badge collectors to discover the bike.
I think you're right.
Try re-posting the photos in the "Antique Bicycles pre-1933" forum on here, someone should be able to help.
I'm English and my knowledge of TOC U.S. bicycles (and Italian, lol)is limited.

I think you're right.
Try re-posting the photos in the "Antique Bicycles pre-1933" forum on here, someone should be able to help.
I'm English and my knowledge of TOC U.S. bicycles (and Italian, lol)is limited.
Doh!
How much of a butthead am I?
It's already here!

Back