When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is my horn missing and how can I fix it?

-

cbustapeck

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I've decided to start fixing some of the little things on my lovely September, 1961 Schwinn Jaguar Mark IV. It brings me so much joy, and I would really like to be able to deal with some of the tiny things.

The original owner told me that the horn never worked. Indeed, the button appears to have, at the very least, lost a spring. In the tank, I also found the weird button-shaped thing that would appear to fit in the button mechanism - shown to the right of the button in the first photo - but I cannot figure out how.

I would appreciate help in figuring out what I am missing and in figuring out how to install whatever it is that is missing.

Many thanks,
Christopher

AD42B224-FC4C-4A37-A00E-3D395B07AA32.jpeg
D6BD7D1B-EAC3-437D-B118-6871C73F1C10.jpeg
B1400D4B-873B-4907-85F1-55CCCE445BB4.jpeg
FD4229F9-101B-455F-8544-F7FD5CF04C43.jpeg
57DFC013-D57B-41A3-A9DD-DA56AC7D590B.jpeg

Looks like the contact base needs some work, it's pushed to the inside. Your button should have a spring between the button and contact base. Check out the pictures in this ebay listing.

The base being pushed aside didn't register - I am glad you saw that. Should I start by lifting the tabs indicated below, for access, and then work from there? Will a standard spring that fits from the hardware store do the job, provided that it is the right size and strong enough? Thank you.

FD4229F9-101B-455F-8544-F7FD5CF04C43.jpeg

The base being pushed aside didn't register - I am glad you saw that. Should I start by lifting the tabs indicated below, for access, and then work from there? Will a standard spring that fits from the hardware store do the job, provided that it is the right size and strong enough? Thank you.

View attachment 1265190

Yes, but keep pressure on the base and then slowly remove it after the tabs are bent back. The spring and parts might go flying out.

The round part you have on the right in your first photo looks like the positive contact end for the batteries.

Back