When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is real diameter of 28 inch rim.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

palepainter

Finally riding a big boys bike
So the rims that came with my 22 GWM Crown, appear to be 28s. Does anyone have the actual diameter handy? Also, I see tires advertised as 28s and 700s. the 700s I have don’t appear to fit. Perhaps these rims are 27s. here is a photo with measurement.

I've been told 700c is the next best thing for 28" wheels. Unless you wanna spend like a couple of $600 bills
Ya. I’m hoping to find a bike with coaster and 700 locally, I may settle for rims and replace onto the older hubs. I really want to enjoy riding the bike but uncertain I will enjoy the ride of the skip tooth. It was a bit klunk before I tore it down, but it could also use a rebuild and chain needs a good massage and spa day.

You can definitely still get 597 tires, but the selection won't be great.

There are different "28"s. Probably the most common is a German/northern Euro designation for ISO 622 mm—same as 700c—but there's also a "28" that's ISO 635 mm.

When in doubt always keep Sheldons charts close at hand. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html.

I've been through the maze of tire sizes. It was a long crazy trip some years back to get tires for my Pierce, the prewar 28' size, 642 mm, or French 700 A which is shown on Sheldons chart as 'obsolete'. ;) And now the bike shop in Australia I ordered them from is no longer showing them on the website...

So the 597/26” were not original to the 1920’s bike but may have been common when the even more obsolete single tube tires/wheels were replaced on it some time ago.
597/26” may be an economical way to go, if one can find them; but a new set of 622mm/28” (700c) would be closer to the original size.
There are 622/28 wheels available with the Alex X202 or AS7X rim profiles that I like; (some ads might call them 29”).

Last edited:
Back