When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is real diameter of 28 inch rim.

-
So the 597/26” were not original to the 1920’s bike but may have been common when the even more obsolete single tube tires/wheels were replaced on it some time ago.
597/26” may be an economical way to go, if one can find them; but a new set of 622mm/28” (700c) would be closer to the original size.
There are 622/28 wheels available with the Alex X202 or AS7X rim profiles that I like; (some ads might call them 29”).
Thats the plan. I will be using a nice set of double wall alloy 700s, with coaster, in black. A bit of a klunker when i will be done on the 22 Crown.

Last edited:
When in doubt always keep Sheldons charts close at hand. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html.

I've been through the maze of tire sizes. It was a long crazy trip some years back to get tires for my Pierce, the prewar 28' size, 642 mm, or French 700 A which is shown on Sheldons chart as 'obsolete'. ;) And now the bike shop in Australia I ordered them from is no longer showing them on the website...

...still available from France via:

This is a 700c Velocity Blunt P35 laid on a standard 28" Wood Rim" The wood rim is a little warped which is why it is visible at the bottom of the pic in the stacked rim shot, but they're almost identical in diameter and width.

12697544525_cff2653767_b.jpg

12698027174_942047a08b_b.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Thats great. Those look like the Vee Rubber tires from Thailand that I bought from Moruya Cycles in New South Wales. Their website no longer shows tires of any kind for sale so this may be the only option for G&J steel clincher rims besides the Rubena some have used. Shipping from Australia more than doubled the price and should be lower cost from France.

Last edited:
Back