When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the cheapest solution to replacing 28" wood rims/single tube

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bike

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
In Memoriam
with RIDEABLE AFFORDABLE wheels/tires- some transition balloon bikes had spacers for the fenders and seemed to work with balloon but I put balloon on my westfield arch bar and the cranks are too low to the ground- I dont want to use juvi cranks!

Thanks!

breeze rims

what about s5 6 or 7's from a single speed bike working till you can buy 700c's most of us have them laying around i have thought about this before but have never tried it --any thoughts

You can also use 27" rims with 27X1-3/8" tires. turns out very close. That is what is on this bike.
SH104246.jpg

Last edited:
If your goal is just to get Rollin' 700c will work well as was said above. Want them to look more like original Check out velocity p35 rims in 700c aka 29er mtb rims. I did a side by side comparison in another thread and they are the same width and diameter as a 28" wooden singletube rim. 700cx38 tires are cheaply and readily available and are about the proper width of about 1.5" you can also get wood clinchers from cb Italian, cerchi ghisallo, or Noah stuztman for just a little more $$$.

with RIDEABLE AFFORDABLE wheels/tires- some transition balloon bikes had spacers for the fenders and seemed to work with balloon but I put balloon on my westfield arch bar and the cranks are too low to the ground- I dont want to use juvi cranks!

Thanks!

I have an early 1900/1920s bike that came with wood rims / 28" tires.
I was thinking of using these size tires:
23tied4png-1.jpg

2evte1upng-1.jpg

These are photos from Retrocykel...
I like that they look similar to the originals & are
plain with no stencils on the sides.
But I just started today & haven't checked if these will
fit my Iver Johnson bike. I would like to ride my bike
on occasions & not for serious long distances.

Last edited:
If your goal is just to get Rollin' 700c will work well as was said above. Want them to look more like original Check out velocity p35 rims in 700c aka 29er mtb rims. I did a side by side comparison in another thread and they are the same width and diameter as a 28" wooden singletube rim. 700cx38 tires are cheaply and readily available and are about the proper width of about 1.5" you can also get wood clinchers from cb Italian, cerchi ghisallo, or Noah stuztman for just a little more $$$.

Does anyone have contact info for Noah Stutzman ?

if you have standard wood rims

I have an early 1900s bike that came with wood rims / 28" tires.
I was thinking of using these size tires:
23tied4png-1.jpg

2evte1upng-1.jpg

These are photos from Retrocykel...
I like that they look similar to the originals & are
plain with no stencils on the sides.
But I just started today & haven't checked if these will
fit my Iver Johnson bike. I would like to ride my bike
on occasions & not for serious long distances.

you cannot put tube type tires on them

you cannot put tube type tires on them

I didn't mention that I was thinking of using newer wheels that would accept
these tube tires.
The 28" wood rims, although in very good condition are 100 years old.
I have a 1930 Columbia that I ride & I use repo tires. I keep the originals for
display only.

Am I reading correctly that you WANT to use singletubes?

Maybe some more info is in order. Do you have Deans already or something? Let us know. About your only options are "tubular" modern rims. Cyclocross version of this will probably fit a wider tire. The wood rim makers will also have what you need. An antique singletube steel rim could also work and come up from time to time.

Back