When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the correct chain for bike.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

John Gialanella

Finally riding a big boys bike
I bought a 1973 Schwinn Paramount P-13-9 several months ago. It is in very nice shape (must have not been ridden much) It was all original except for the 5 speed freewheel, it was Japanese. The original should be Regina 14-24 tooth cogs. I bought a new Regina chain which has 116 links, when I compared it to the original it was 3 links longer. I am putting on an NOS gold Sun tour freewheel 14-22 tooth cogs which is close to original. My question is how you determine what length the new chain should be. Does it make a difference if it is 1 link more or one link less. The Campagnolo crank is 52-42. and the rear Campy derailleur Nuovo record. Any help would be welcomed.
John.

Hello John,
Without a photo it's difficult to see if your new chain is too long....my guess is that it will be. Chains almost always have to be adjusted in length to match the drivetrain. If you adjust the gearing to 42 /14 and the derailleur bottom pulley is angled more than 45 degrees rear facing, I would remove 2 or 3 links. You will want to check the 52/22 combinatin as well, although not as important and I'd advise to avoid spending much time in those two. Post photos!
Just my thoughts because you asked,
Kryn

Thanks for the input. Do you think because the original chain has 3 less links, I should remove them and see how it looks.
John.

Without removing the links yet, wrap the chain around the 42 (inner chainring) and the smallest rear cog the 14, and bring the chain together where you want it to be. The rear derailleur should be about 45 degrees rearward. Do that before breaking the chain.

You won't want the derailleur to bend back much further than this. This bike has a wider gear range so I tolerate it and avoid the two extreme ends of the range.

1666207166446731986168.jpg

Hey John,
Hope that helps...I'm no expert but just sayin' what I do. I was thinking perhaps some other knowlegeable members might chime in.....?
KZee

OK sorry...take it with a pinch of salt!
Best of luck......and why is 'derailleur' so hard to spell? Rather just say gear changer thing!?

Back