When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the difference

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
1981 western flyer beach cruiser at least the tires are 26x2.25. giant Person's seat. Which is super comfortable. Only one speed right now but would like to find a 3or5speed rear rim the same size.
Those giant persons seats are the bomb. I have one on my main rider and I just bought one on the bay for my new trike. I think the CABE is a pretty accepting group for all bikes here, well most of us are anyway. Like we used to say in motocross, "run what ya brung!".

#Classic; this can be any age.
It has more to do with style and engineering than age.

#Vintage; More often than not this refers to "classic" bikes that have aged and entered the "soft" patina stage.

#Old; this title refers to low budget/low quality bikes that lasted longer than ten years.

#Antique can refer to any bicycle, "old" or "classic" that has passed the age of 50.

This is my definition of those words.
YMMV

if you just say you like old junk then that will be one less thing to have to think about.

I put "vintage" in ads and search vintage quite a bit ... search terms are a different breed though.

a "vintage" Frozen toy and a vintage toy truck will be years apart.

there ya go.

I believe that antique, these days, might be pre-WW1, and perhaps a year or 2 thereafter, 1920(?); but perhaps not to include designs that continued essentially unchanged 10-20 years later. (If a bike requires special parts not interchangeable with much of anything else, then I lean more towards the antique category).
Vintage may include 1980-90’s.
I believe that Classic has been defined by the NBHAA(?), as 1930’s streamlined through early 1960’s cantilever frames; (not sure if the “space cadet” bikes count).
For the 1960’s through 1970’s, (lost decades or beginning of the end?) and 2000’s+, I consider as just old or older bikes.

Last edited:
I suppose you can put what ever label you want on something but each of us will look at it and affix our own label. V/r Shawn

I believe this bike is a classic,antique,vintage,highly collectable............

I think Classic is not tied to an age, but is a VERY REPRESENTATIVE example from a time, design movement, or general zeitgeist. Say, a RoundOak woodstove is a classic Victorian antique. An Eames fiberglass chair is a classic vintage item. And "That" song is a classic because it totally captures what was in the air in 1990s Seattle. In the 80s there was an obsession with the 50's and anything that was vaguely reminiscent of that time was called"classic"---kinda bleeding over from the car world, i think. @2cents

Back