When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the Rarest Phantom?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

npence

I live for the CABE
Ive been wondering what the rarest color Phantom is beside the blue christmas one in 55. I have seen a lot of Black Phantoms. So any ideas what Phantom Color is the hardest one to find in Original condition. If I would have to guess I would say the Red Phantoms just because I have seen the fewest of those. Then the Green. and the black is the most common. Let me know what you think. Thanks

I would agree that red seems to be the rarest color as far as the boys bikes go. I have been watching Phantoms pretty closely for the last two years. It seems the girls bike in any color is fairly rare but of course it was only a one year bike. v/r Shawn

Green or Red toss up.

Since I own a completely original 1952 Green Phantom purchased from the original owner's widow, I'd vote Green.

Year has some bearing on which color is rarer than another. The later years with metallic Red or Green are quite common.

Black Phantoms were most common since that was the focus of most of Schwinn's magazine advertising. I'd bet most Green or Red Phantoms were sold when a dealer had sold out of the more common Black.

I have a really nice completely original 1950 Black Phantom too. I'm inclined to think it is rarer than the Green one I own.

100_4779-1.jpg

100_4403-1.jpg

Maybe we could do a count of the members here?

We could do a head count as to how many we have and of what colors....? I have a red '53....

Good idea Lawrence! Maybe I'm way off base here but, I see way more reds than greens. I mean, if you were a boy in the fifties, what color was associated with cool? Red of course!!! (unless you liked the "Green Lantern" or "Green Hornet"), but then you'd have the folks get you a Green Schwinn Hornet, No?......Ha!

OK here's mine: 1954 black boys, 1955 green girls, 1956 green boys, 1959 green boys. BTW I think we need to only count original bikes. I have a red Phantom project but think it may have started as a Black Phantom. I also plan on doing a blue boys bike. Speaking of that I was the under bidder a couple of years ago on the one that went on Ebay. I tried to get the seller to give up the buyers name but he said the person that bought it wanted to remain anonymous. He did tell me it went somewhere in So. Cal. If anyone knows the whereabouts of this bike I would be very interested. v/r Shawn

Since I own a completely original 1952 Green Phantom purchased from the original owner's widow, I'd vote Green.
100_4779-1.jpg

Wow, that is one beautiful Phantom. They're usually a bit out of my taste but that green is phenomenal :) I think the blackwalls really set it apart.

1953 Schwinn Red (rider) Phantom

rider with a beautifully restored seat, original key, nice old Typhoons, might be on the market soon.....
IMG_0237-1.jpg

Back