When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the safest way to remove rust from nickel plating?

-

New Mexico Brant

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Any thoughts? Oxalic Acid ruins nickel unless you leave it in briefly. Anyone have good results with other rust removal products?

How about Bar Keepers Friend? I've never used it on an item with just nickle plating, but it might be worth a try. It does contain a bit of OA and doubt that will do any harm compared to an OA soaking. It's cheap and good for cleaning other things if it doesn't work on your nickle plated items.

ceramic bead blast lightly @ 40 psi to remove rust scale only. Go to the buffing area and use the bristle wheel to shiny finish. Finish by buffing them out on the cloth wheel, with some buffing compound, to mirror finish. It was free because I did it at work. Took me 30 minutes and i was able to save the nickel. 1st pic is before and 2nd pic is after (like a month after I did it).

Back