When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Is The Year Of This Columbia Shaft Drive Bicycle

-

mike cates

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
This is a Columbia Model 60 Ladies shaft drive bicycle in "as found" condition.
Where do I look for a serial number?
What year is it?
How long did Pope make shaft drive bicycles?
Everything look correct on it?
If someone has a chart for Columbia shaft drive years/models offered, please post it.
Post any photos of similar bikes if you have one.
Thanks,
Mike Cates, CA.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to have 26 inch rims on it and that coaster brake does not look original to me. Also the axle bracket on the gear side does not look correct to me. I don't think they offered a coaster brake in 99. Just my take on it.

Looks to have 26 inch rims on it and that coaster brake does not look original to me. Also the axle bracket on the gear side does not look correct to me. I don't think they offered a coaster brake in 99. Just my take on it.
Should have porcupine hubs. I believe the ladies typically takes a 20tooth gear on the hub.

Note the removed outer gear cover laying on the ground that I removed. It looks like nothing I have seen on the early Columbia shaft drive models.
Coaster brake on this shaft drive bicycle is stamped New Departure and were these interchangeable with regular chain driven rear hubs?

Note the removed outer gear cover laying on the ground that I removed. It looks like nothing I have seen on the early Columbia shaft drive models.
Coaster brake on this shaft drive bicycle is stamped New Departure and were these interchangeable with regular chain driven rear hubs?
I'm pretty sure they have different threading them a chain model but I can double check. Definately different from the one without a brake as there are no extra threads for the lock ring.

Biplane/nameplate fork is correct for a model 60, and I think the threaded bottom bracket cover with the holes for a spanner. The rear gear cover looks like one from a Spaulding:
The locknut and wedge seatpost was a one year model- I can't remember which but it was early-maybe 1899?. The frame weight went way up as time wore on. This bike looks like it was refurbished in the 1920s-1930s with the raingutter fenders and the Torrington Racer pedals.

Back