When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this bike?

-

schwinnman67

Finally riding a big boys bike
Trying to figure out what the bike is in this pic. This is my dad
and his bike in about 1951-52. I'm pretty sure it's a Schwinn built BF Goodrich and
my dad thinks my grandfather got it from a BF Goodrich dealer.
He rode it until about 1956-57 and dumped it in the woods after the hub locked up...

Any ideas what it is?

1951z Thomas Lee Clayton bike.JPG

Hey Lee,
The equipment on it would be what was on a Hornet but the 26" Hornets were straight bar frames. This one has the curved 2nd bar as the DX models and the later Spitfires, so I'm pretty sure that's a D-25 Spitfire. Here's a 1953 image of the equipped Spitfire. The sweetheart ring on the catalog image is a skiptooth and the ring on your Dad's had the 1/2" drivetrain, so the Phantom style ring would be used. Cool picture!

1654488738745.png

Last edited:
Here's the 1951 model. Tank detailing is the older style and the 52 version looks like what's on your Dad's Spitfire. The BFG's would also have slightly different paint details from the Schwinn badged bikes until the mid-50's when the only difference was the head badges.

1654500557602.png

Last edited:
Back