When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Is This Dial/Knob For?...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I've never owned a bike this old, so please forgive my ignorance asking what this knob/dial is for. It's on the bike I recently did a post of:

I can't see it being connected in any way to the neck...but maybe I'm wrong? 🙁

IMG_1965.jpeg

It's a fork lock- I wish modern commuter bikes had them! Tighten up the knob and the steerer is locked so you can lean the bike up against a wall. Germans used a tightening metal band around the steerer, I've seen some French bikes with a spring loaded bullet catch that pops into a hole in the steerer tube. Auf Deutsch, Bandfeststeller.

@Andrew Gorman Andrew, thank you!! I never would have thought of that being a possibility...and its been driving me nuts trying to figure it out. 🤪

Now I'm wondering why this didn't continue onto bikes as time went by. Cost?🤔

fred

Probably, and as time went on bikes were either kid's toys or "athletic equipment", not a way to get to work. It's a handy gadget! I've half halfheartedly been looking to find a way to build one but the springy steel and welding a loop on it is a bottleneck. The French Button catch might be an easier way. It took me a while to figure out what it did on my first pre-war German bike.

Last edited:
Back